Trans offender case renews push for reform of Victoria’s sentencing laws

·

A controversial judgment by Victorian County Court Judge Nola Karapanagiotidis, who accepted that a father’s gender transition reduced his “moral culpability” for sexually abusing his five-year-old daughter, has reignited debate over sentencing policies and the treatment of trans-identifying offenders.

The offender, known as Hilary Maloney, filmed himself abusing his daughter at the direction of American paedophile Sam Booth.

He was sentenced to four years and nine months in prison, with a minimum term of two and a half years – far below the 10-year standard and 25-year maximum for such offences.

In her ruling, Judge Karapanagiotidis said Maloney’s vulnerabilities related to gender dysphoria and manipulation by Booth reduced his ability to make “right and healthy choices.”

She also noted that Maloney would face “additional hardship” in custody as a trans woman, and that he was “highly unlikely” to reoffend “unless she finds herself in a similar situation, being pressured or coerced by a man.”

The lenient sentence and decision to place Maloney in the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre, a women’s prison, have prompted calls for the Victorian government to review how courts assess culpability in cases involving gender transition and coercion.

Women’s Forum Australia CEO Rachael Wong said the case highlighted a “dangerous precedent.”

“This extraordinary leniency creates a perverse incentive for male offenders to identify as women in order to obtain lighter sentences and access to women’s prisons,” she said.

Women’s rights activist Sall Grover warned the ruling risked creating “the easiest loophole imaginable” for offenders seeking to reduce punishment.

Premier Jacinta Allan has faced mounting pressure to respond but has so far declined to comment, referring questions to Youth Justice and Corrections Minister Enver Erdogan, who has not yet addressed the matter.

Advocates argue the case underscores an urgent need for sentencing reform to ensure gender identity does not diminish accountability for serious sexual offences.

Source: The Australian

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Marcus Stoinis crowned Big Bash League player of the season

Melbourne Stars opener Marcus Stoinis has been named the Big Bash League’s player of the tournament after topping the run-scoring charts for the season. Stoinis...

Greek language students celebrated at the Dionysios Solomos Awards

Young students who excelled in Modern and Classical Greek in the NSW HSC were recognised at the annual Dionysios Solomos Awards on Sunday.

Discussions ongoing between Clubs and Football Australia over National Second Tier

Discussions are ongoing between Football Australia and the eight National Second Tier Foundation Clubs on the future of the competition.