Thousands in NSW forced to evacuate as flood crisis continues

·

About 30,000 people have been impacted by the flooding event across Sydney, the Hunter and Illawarra, with 71 evacuation orders in place, ABC News has reported.

There were 83 rescues since 9pm last night and 1,593 requests for assistance across the state. The Hawkesbury, Nepean and Colo rivers have flooded due to the persistent rain.

This comes as NSW Minister for Flood Recovery, Steph Cooke, warned Sydneysiders the worst was not over yet.

“Sydney so far has missed out on the worst but it doesn’t mean it’s out of the woods yet. We still have broad warnings from just south of Nowra all the way up to just south of Newcastle at the moment,” Ms Cooke said. 

She said there had been 184 registrations at evacuation centres, with 68 people in emergency accommodation.

Residents in Windsor. Photo: John Grainger.

NSW Premier, Dominic Perrottet, said he had requested 100 more Australian Defence Force officers, with 100 currently assisting rescues across north-west Sydney. 

Greater Sydney residents have been warned to avoid travel and check the SES website for evacuation orders.

Have you been impacted by the floods? Please email The Greek Herald at: info@foreignlanguage.com.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Secretary General for Greeks Abroad meets with GCM President Bill Papastergiadis

Secretary General for Greeks Abroad, John Chrysoulakis, has met with the President of the Greek Community of Melbourne, Bill Papastergiadis.

MANASIS to bring Greek culture back to Moomba Parade after 30 years

On March 10, the MANASIS School of Greek Dance will create another milestone in its history, through participating in Moomba Festival Parade.

George Ellis Orchestra goes on tour for ‘The Best of the Bee Gees’

The Best of the Bee Gees celebrates 25 years on stage in 2023 with a national tour accompanied by the 20-piece George Ellis Orchestra.