Theo Maras calls for greater help to prevent hospitality industry from crumbling

·

Prominent businessman Theo Maras has called for more help for the hospitality industry saying there are 35,000 people employed in it, and its survival is key to South Australia’s recovery.

Mr Maras said the industry employed huge numbers of young people who were at risk of becoming a lost generation if it wasn’t given more assistance.

“When Holden closed down everyone threw their arms up in the air and it was eight, nine, 10,000 people (once indirect jobs are factored in),’’ he told a Business SA lunch.

Property developer Theo Maras has been appointed chairman of the Adelaide Central Market Authority. Photo: Roger Wyman/The Advertiser

“35,000 young people are on the cliff edge in South Australia at the moment. If we lose them, if we lose that industry, all of those young people are going to be out of work.”

Mr Maras and Business SA chair Nikki Govan said Fringe Benefits Tax should be removed from business hospitality, with Ms Govan saying we needed to “bring back the long lunch’’.

Ms Govan, who also runs Star of Greece restaurant at Willunga, said restrictions meant restaurants could not run at full capacity and were suffering. Mr Maras also made the point that the Federal Government would recoup tax through GST should the FBT be lifted in this area.

Martin Haese, chief executive of Business SA, with chair Nikki Govan. Photo: The Advertiser

“The young people in our state are the future of our state and they’re the people who spend, they are consumers and we’ve got to look after them.’’

Business SA lobbied, as did other groups such as the Australian Hotels Association, for FBT changes prior to the recent Federal Budget.

Business SA is also this week advocating for a dedicated funding support package for businesses in the tourism and events supply chain, saying we’ve fallen behind other states.

READ MORE: Theo Maras shares plans for new Adelaide Central Market
READ MORE: Theo Maras replaces Nick Begakis as Adelaide Central Market Authority chairman

“South Australia is the Festival State, and our festivals and events need more support,” Business SA chief executive Martin Haese said.

Mr Haese said South Australia had been eclipsed by the Tasmanian Government, which this week announced grants of up to $5000 for smaller business and up to $100,000 for businesses with a larger turnover.

Sourced By: Adelaide Now

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Sydney firefighter Chris Stathis reflects on career of helping people and saving lives

NSW Fire and Rescue Station Officer Chris Stathis has been putting out fires and saving lives since his early 20’s in Sydney, Australia. 

Close Turkish Cypriot election result leaves peace deal in the balance

The first round of the Turkish Cypriot presidential election has produced a close result between two candidates.

Greek Paralympic fencer hopes to prove anything is possible in a wheelchair

Greek fencers Panos Triantafyllou and Vasilis Ntounis are preparing for the Tokyo Palalympic Games in August, hoping to prove what can be accomplished in a wheelchair.