Sydney mother, Maria Kaloudis, fights to add eczema treatment to Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

·

Sydney mother Maria Kaloudis strengthened her commitment to lobbying the federal government to add eczema treatment to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), The Leader reports.

Among the group of people who voiced their concerns to the government in Canberra, Maria Kaloudis had previously wrote to Prime Minister Scott Morrison asking him to step in to add Dupixent to the PBS.

Maria’s close family have reportedly suffered from severe eczema all their lives, being part of the staggering 800,000 Australians with eczema, 27,000 of those being severe.

Dupixent is available to some eczema patients, yet are forced to pay $1600 a month, or $20,000 a year, for the “life-changing” treatment. Patients say that the drug, which is injected into patients, provides relief by ending the itch and pain associated with the condition.

A government advisory committee is due to review the cost-effectiveness of the medication for the third time in March, prompting those affected by the condition to travel to Canberra on February 27 to make a presentation to parliamentarians.

“I’m sending an SOS to the federal government because eczema is agony,” Ms Kaloudis said speaking with The Leader.

“It means sleepless nights, discomfort and pain, feeling like you have bugs crawling under your skin.

“There’s medicine available that can end this misery and we are appealing to the federal government to subsidise it in Australia.

“We need to ensure that the federal government fully understand the distress, pain [and] sleep disruption, and do not overlook it amid all the other budget priorities.”

The Canberra visit was organised by Eczema Support Australia. Its founder and director Melanie Funk, the mother of twin boys with severe eczema, said no one should have to endure the agony of uncontrolled eczema.

For information about Eczema Support Australia click here or to visit their Facebook page click here.

Sourced by: The Leader

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Vaughn Arambatzis aims to raise $1000 for Sydney Dogs and Cats Home by recycling bottles

Vaughn Arambatzis wants to raise $1000 for the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home by collecting and recycling cans and bottles.

Vasili’s Taxidi: Sydney’s Longest Running Delicatessen – Olympic Continental Deli

Vasili's Taxidi: Sydney’s longest running delicatessen is none other than Olympic Continental Deli Bankstown and the Karpouzis family has been running from 1956!

Greek Welfare Centre Sydney sends congratulations to Archbishop Makarios

On the occasion of the first anniversary of the arrival of His Eminence Archbishop Makarios to Australia, staff and members of GWC express our heartfelt appreciation...