Suspect admits attacking Greek Orthodox priest in Lyon over personal dispute

·

A suspect has admitted to the shooting of a Greek Orthodox priest in the French city of Lyon last week over a personal dispute, prosecutors have said.

The 40-year-old suspect told prosecutors the priest was having an affair with his wife.

The priest, Nikolaos Kakavelakis, 52, was shot twice with a sawn-off shotgun outside his church on 31 October.

He spoke to police after coming out of a coma on Wednesday.

The shooting came days after three people were killed in a knife attack at a church in the southern French city of Nice.

It was initially feared to be a copycat of what French President Emmanuel Macron called an “Islamist terrorist attack” in Nice. 

READ MORE: Suspect in Greek Orthodox priest’s shooting freed, search widens in France

The motive for the shooting in Lyon was not clear at first, with officials opening an investigation for attempted murder

But the investigation progressed this week when the priest was able to talk to the police.

The suspect, who is said to be of Georgian nationality, was arrested at his home in Lyon on Friday, French newspaper Le Parisien reported.

The newspaper, citing a statement from Lyon’s public prosecutor, Nicolas Jacquet, said the suspect “turns out to be the husband of a woman who was having an affair with the victim”.

The suspect told prosecutors he had not intended to kill the priest, who was romantically involved with his wife, a 35-year-old Russian, the newspaper said.

The priest, who is recovering after surgery, had announced his resignation from the church a month earlier.

Source: BBC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

NSW Liberals to take Alex Hawke MP to the Supreme Court

Federal Immigration Minister, Alex Hawke, will head to the Supreme Court after the Liberal Party of NSW launched a legal challenge.

Greek and Indigenous languages among new translations for Australian rock album

Australian rock band, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, have announced 11 new translations for their new album Butterfly 3000.

Mitsotakis on Greece’s refugee policies: “we will send you back”

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis made some cut-throat claims on three topics of interest in Greece, in a no-holds-barred interview with Bild.