South Australia’s Ridleyton Greek home for the Aged in precautionary lockdown

·

An aged care home at Ridleyton owned and operated by the Greek Orthodox Community of SA (GOCSA) will be locked down for at least 12 days after a staff member was identified as a close contact of South Australia’s latest coronavirus case.

The infected man in his 20s had been self-isolating with relatives who both work in aged care.

“The authorities and the Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia (GOCSA) acted immediately to prevent any spread into nursing homes. South Australia is taking additional measures to protect nursing homes in the wake of deadly aged care outbreaks in Victoria.

“No one can afford to be complacent at this time,” Bill Gonis, President of GOCSA, told The Greek Herald.

The 120-bed facility, home to many Greek elders, says it will remain in precautionary lockdown until the worker’s second COVID-19 test is returned after day 12, while the connected Largs Bay facility says it will lift its lockdown tomorrow. Both workers have tested negative so far but remain in quarantine.

Sources confirmed to The Greek Herald that two more facilities, St. Basil’s at St Peters and Croydon, are also in provisional lockdown “as a precautionary measure” due to the unfolding situation.

UPDATE:

On Sunday afternoon, the lockdown at the St Peters and Croydon park facilities was lifted.

‘We want to give you an update of the situation and let you know that thankfully the Ridleyton /Philip Kennedy situation has resolved which means the lockdown has now lifted at our sites, effective immediately. Residents will be informed immediately by staff onsite. Thank you again for your ongoing support’ reads the email sent to the families.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

You May Also Like

Dance instructors from Crete hold workshops with Sydney’s Cretan community

The Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW held dance workshops with dance instructors Sifi Viglakis and Eleftheria Manioudakis from Crete.

Vow Foods cofounder George Peppou says their lab-grown meat is more environmentally friendly

George Peppou and Tim Noakesmith’s Sydney-based, lab-based meat company Vow Foods has raised $8 million in investments.

Deputy Minister for Immigration meeting with Melbourne community leaders to discuss temporary visas

The President of the Hellenic Community of Melbourne, Mr. Vassilis Papastergiadis, is scheduled to meet with the Deputy Minister for Immigration in Australia, Mr Alan Taj, on Monday.