Sophie Cotsis demands action over Service NSW cyber attack which saw 3.8 million documents stolen

·

Shadow Minister for Better Public Services Sophie Cotsis is demanding the Government explain how cyber criminals were able to steal 3.8 million documents from Service NSW. 

It comes after Ms Cotsis, who has been holding the Government to account over the breach, discovered she is among the 186,000 people whose information was stolen. 

NSW Labor will use an upcoming Parliamentary Inquiry into cyber security this month to explore the extent of the problem and the lack of assistance available to those impacted. 

“I have been calling for months for the NSW Government to harden its digital systems against cyber attacks,” Ms Cotsis said.

Service NSW, Miranda.

“I was upset and shocked to find I was one of the victims of this cyber crime, however I am even more upset for the other 186,000 innocent people whose data was stolen.

“While the Government claims to be helping victims of this attack, my conversations with people’s experience was that their support services are difficult to navigate”.

READ MORE: TGH Exclusive: Sophie Cotsis on International Women’s Day, “I have a responsibility to talk about my illness”
READ MORE: Sophie Cotsis launches petition to redevelop Canterbury Hospital

The Government have said this attack occurred because Service NSW did not use multi-factor authentication for staff log-ins, which means the NSW Government has not been following guidance from the Australian Cyber Security Centre.

A report published by the Auditor-General last year indicates at least 26 NSW Government agencies may be vulnerable to this type of attack.

“The Government is responsible for safeguarding sensitive information including people’s health records, legal information and finances,” Ms Cotsis said.

“This data breach was foreseeable and preventable, but so far no one has been held accountable for failing to keep our people’s private information secure.

The first hearing into cyber security will begin on 29 October. 

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Paul Nicolaou criticises Sydney’s fare-free Monday after rail chaos

Business Sydney executive director Paul Nicolaou has criticised the NSW government’s decision to offer fare-free travel on Monday.

Greek Australian Cultural League announces winners of its literary competition

The winners of the 2022 Greek-Australian Cultural Association Literary Competition were announced on Sunday at The Steps Gallery in Carlton.

Victorian childcare centre embrace cultural traditions from Zorba to Samoan clothing

The Guardian South Morang Childcare centre celebrated cultural diversity with the children learning the Greek Zorba dance.