Second person found dead as clean-up begins after flash flooding in Crete

·

Two people have died after flash flooding swept across the Greek island of Crete over the weekend.

According to The Guardian, the body of Kostas Vergakis was found in his car on Saturday, where he was trapped as severe storms struck the Greek island.

The discovery led to a extensive search operation for the vehicle’s passenger with rescue workers recovering a second female body on Sunday in the Mediterranean off Agia Pelagia, a seaside resort north-west of Crete’s capital, Heraklion.

A man crosses a flooded street following heavy thunderstorms, in the village of Agia Pelagia, on the island of Crete. Photo: AP Photo/Harry Nakos.

The victim, a 49-year-old mother of two, had been swept into the sea as she tried to get out of the car while it was washed away by the floods.

These deaths come after the weekend storm unleashed the equivalent of four months’ rainfall in a matter of hours on coastal villages, flooding roads, shops and homes.

Cars abandoned by the sea following heavy thunderstorms, in the village of Paliokastro, on the island of Crete. Photo: AP Photo/Harry Nakos.

Footage emerged of cars and other debris submerged under seawater in Agis Pelagia and Sitia in the east of the island, where a state of emergency was declared.

The Mayor of Sitia, Giorgos Zervakis, said he has “never seen anything like it.”

“The situation is out of control,” the Mayor added. “There have been landslides, roads are closed, areas are impassable because of cars and streets have turned into rivers.”

Greek government officials inspect the damage. Photo: AMNA.gr.

A Greek government taskforce has since visited Crete on Sunday and announced a package of support measures that will include a 400,000 euro compensation package with immediate effect.

Greece’s Alternate Interior Minister, Stelios Petsas, expressed his condolences for the deaths of the two people swept away by the flood water, and pledged that the government will do everything possible to help survivors “get back to normality” after the damage caused by the flash floods.

Source: The Guardian.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

AHEPA Unit 2 Athena luncheon raises vital funds for head and neck cancer support

AHEPA Unit 2 Athena, Daughters of Penelope, held its annual luncheon and raised $26,000 for Head and Neck Cancer Australia - HANCA.

Victorian Labor and Liberal parties vow to support multicultural media

Victorian Labor and Liberal parties have vowed today to commit more to support multicultural media and communications.

Outgoing President of Canberra’s Greek Community John Loukadellis says ‘future is bright’

Outgoing President of the Greek Community and Church of Canberra, John Loukadellis, says 'future is bright.'