Remaining tourists stranded from Thomas Cook bankruptcy will be repatriated soon

·

The repatriation of the 50,000 tourists stranded at 13 different locations in Greece following the bankruptcy of travel agency Thomas Cook will be completed by the beginning of October, Deputy Tourism Minister Manolis Konsolas said on Monday.

Konsolas added that some 6,331 tourists at South Aegean islands have already been returned to their home countries, soon to be followed by the remaining 958.

Thomas Cook said it had been forced to seek insolvency to extricate itself from its UK parent company’s “financial tie-ups and related liabilities”.

Under EU package holiday rules, tourists are covered financially from a company’s insolvency as well as have the right to repatriation.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Two Oakleigh Grammar Year 12 students become local heroes

In a remarkable display of community spirit and quick thinking, two Oakleigh Grammar students came to the aid of an elderly woman in distress.

Andrew Liveris welcomes appointment of The Hellenic Initiative’s new Executive Director

The Hellenic Initiative (THI) has announced that Mike Manatos will become its Executive Director effective May 1, 2025.

Pan Macedonian Federation of SA launches the 2024 Dimitria Festival

On Wednesday, October 9, members of South Australia's Greek community gathered for the launch of the Dimitria Festival 2024.Â