Scott Morrison defends intervening in NSW Liberal pre-selections

·

Australian Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, has had a significant victory in a long-running internal Liberal stoush over NSW pre-selections, after a court challenge against the legitimacy of his hand-picked candidates was dismissed.

The NSW Court of Appeal on Monday dismissed a claim that pre-selections of 12 Liberal candidates by the Prime Minister, NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet and former president of the federal Liberal Party, Christine McDiven, were invalid. 

ABC News reports that the case centred on a decision made late last month by the Liberal Party’s federal executive to appoint Mr Morrison, Mr Perrottet and Ms McDiven to pick candidates.

Initially, the three-person committee endorsed only sitting MPs Sussan Ley, Alex Hawke and Trent Zimmerman in the seats of Farrer, Mitchell and North Sydney respectively.

Immigration Minister Alex Hawke is a close ally of the PM. Photo: ABC News / Adam Kennedy.

READ MORE: Liberals try to force Alex Hawke MP to end impasse over election candidates.

However, on Saturday, nine other candidates were pre-selected hours before the committee’s term was due to expire.

On Tuesday, the court ruled this process was valid and Mr Morrison later defended his decision to intervene in the NSW pre-selections.

In an interview with ABC 7.30, Mr Morrison said he made the controversial decision to intervene because he is “very serious about having great women” in his ranks.

READ MORE: NSW Liberals to take Alex Hawke MP to the Supreme Court.

Scott Morrison defended his decision to intervene in the NSW pre-selections.

Mr Morrison said he was concerned the futures of Environment Minister Sussan Ley and the member for Reid, Fiona Martin, were under threat from “factions.”

“I’m asked all the time, ‘Why wouldn’t the Prime Minister do more about getting good women in Parliament and stand up for the women in Parliament?'” he said.

“So, I stood up for the women in my team… That was what the principal reason was and people know that.”

Mr Morrison is expected to fire the starting gun for the election campaign in the coming days and Australians will go to the polls in mid-May.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Parents of 19-month-old Noah Souvatzis call for Victorian inquest into his death

The parents of 19-month-old Noah Souvatzis are requesting the Coroners Court of Victoria hold an inquest into their son's death.

National Premier Leagues 2024 season officially launched

The official 2024 season launch for the National Premier Leagues NSW and Football NSW Leagues competitions took place on February 10.

Eleven missing persons identified on Cyprus in 2024

The Committee on Missing Persons in Cyprus identified the remains of 11 people linked to the inter-communal conflicts of 1963-1964 and 1974.