NSW set to ban engineered stone benchtops by end of 2023

·

The New South Wales Premier Chris Minns said a state ban may be announced for the use of silica-engineered stone if a national agreement isn’t reached by the end of 2023.

NSW Industrial Relations Minister Sophie Cotsis told a budget estimates hearing on Wednesday that the government would consider abandoning plans for a national ban of the deadly product, if the agreement isn’t reached prior to the end of the year.

Ms Costis said she supported banning the product “as soon as possible” and said it had been “a long time coming.”

benchtop
An investigation which took place earlier this year found an increased number of workers battling the debilitating symptoms of silicosis. Photo: Nine News.

“We need to get this right at a national level. We don’t want to see this drag out like what happened with asbestos,” Ms Cotsis said.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, state and territory ministers were criticised last month after they failed to announce a ban on the deadly engineered stone responsible for a health epidemic among tradies.

State-based regulators were found to have failed to effectively examine workplaces for the crystalline silica dust found in the stone used in kitchen benchtops.

Statistics showed the engineered stone can contain up to 95 per cent crystalline silica and is responsible for a surge in lung disease in stonemasons and other tradespeople. 

Source: Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Bianca Mouhalos among three charged with taking steps in manufacturing an explosive

A live military hand grenade found under a bed in a Para Hills home, in Adelaide had to be deactivated by the Australian Defence Force, a court has heard.

Secretary General for Greeks Abroad applauds Castellorizian Association of NSW for centenary

Greece's Secretary General for Greeks Abroad, John Chrysoulakis, has issued a letter to the Castellorizian Association of NSW for centenary.

US approves $1.95 billion deal to sell 35 Black Hawk helicopters to Greece

The US Defense Security Cooperation Agency has officially given Greece the green light to purchase 34 UH-60 Black Hawk multirole helicopters.