Albanese brands Whitlam dismissal a ‘political ambush’ on 50th anniversary

·

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has condemned the 1975 dismissal of Gough Whitlam as a “partisan political ambush”, as Labor marks 50 years since one of Australia’s most turbulent moments in history.

Speaking at Old Parliament House in Canberra on Monday, Albanese said the sacking of the then-Prime Minister by Governor-General Sir John Kerr had “no legitimate pretext” and failed to “respect the mandate” of Whitlam’s democratically elected government.

“Make no mistake: November 11th 1975 was not a ‘constitutional crisis’ – it was a partisan political ambush,” he said.

“The opposition orchestrated a parliamentary gridlock over the budget and then secretly prevailed upon the governor-general to break it, by sacking the prime minister.”

The Prime Minister also announced plans for a statue honouring Whitlam’s legacy and his landmark reforms, including Medibank, free university education, Indigenous land rights and the creation of the Family Court.

Social Services Minister Tanya Plibersek, a long-time friend of Gough and Margaret Whitlam, recalled the shock of the dismissal as one of her earliest political memories.

“I can’t imagine anybody thinking that it was the right course of action at the time … I firmly blame Kerr,” she said, describing the governor-general as “the villain of the piece.”

Ms Plibersek added that the event remains a reminder that “protecting our democratic institutions is more important than any person or any political party.”

Current Governor-General Sam Mostyn reflected that while such a move is “unlikely” to happen again, the episode continues to serve as a warning.

“The fact that we’re discussing it 50 years later… tells us that we will not be in this position where a governor-general will be sitting across from a sitting prime minister and effectively using the dismissal power,” she said.

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Crown Resorts director Andrew Demetriou resigns from board

Mr Demetriou said it had been an "honour" to serve on the Crown board and had confidence a licence for the new casino would eventually be granted.

Odysseus Elytis Academic Award presented to Sydney student Nicholas Haralambous

The Mytilenian Brotherhood of Sydney presented the Odysseus Elytis Academic Award to Sydney student Nicholas Haralambous.

Canterbury community welcomes Rudd Park upgrade

“I have been side by side with our community and sporting groups, calling for this upgrade," Sophie Cotsis says.