‘A lifeline’: Irene Pnevmatikos MP calls for more dialysis services in SA after kidney cancer battle

·

The Honourable Irene Pnevmatikos MLC called for more accessible dialysis services in South Australia during a speech to Parliament on Wednesday.

Ms Pnevmatikos was diagnosed with kidney cancer earlier this year and has since been treating her kidney dysfunction with dialysis three times a week.

In her speech, the Greek Australian politician stressed that prior to starting her treatment she was unaware of the prevalence of dialysis treatment for thousands of people around Australia.

“I am one of approximately 1,000 people who undertake long term dialysis either at home or more predominantly, in a facility to manage kidney function in this state,” Ms Pnevmatikos told SA Parliament.

“The number of people with kidney dysfunction and failure who receive dialysis have been doubling between 2000 and 2020. From 6,400 to 14,600 and this number continues to rise.

“We don’t have enough chairs and beds for dialysis even though dialysis was the leading cause of same-day hospitalisation in Australia in 2019 and 2020.”

Ms Pnevmatikos is calling for more dialysis services in SA.

Ms Pnevmatikos said that dialysis is “a lifeline” for many of these people with kidney dysfunction and failure as it allows them to return to work and “to a semblance of normal life.”

She said “prevention” should be the ultimate goal “to ensure the number of people receiving dialysis lessens over time,” but also called on the SA government to increase dialysis services in the state.

“Whilst I recognise that more dialysis facilities are only a temporary solution, even with the best prevention care unfortunately many people will require dialysis,” Ms Pnevmatikos said.

“It is a matter of capacity and choice. We have an immediate need to increase dialysis capacity to ensure patients who require dialysis can do so.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Newly renovated Jewish synagogue reopens on Kos

Following extensive renovations, the new synagogue on the Greek island of Kos has reopened with much excitement.

Cyprus Community of NSW launches Family Heritage Register ahead of centenary

Families of Cypriot descent across New South Wales are being invited to help preserve their stories, memories and family records.

Greek and Australian businesses brace for impact amid new US tariffs

Recently announced, new US tariffs are set to impose a 10% baseline tax on all countries, including Greece and Australia.