Poland and Greece join forces to seek WWII reparations from Germany

·

Poland wants to expand a campaign to receive massive World War II reparations from Germany, turning to Greece and other European countries as potential allies.

Poland last year formally demanded compensation of $1.3 trillion, while Greece is seeking more than $300 billion for damage incurred by occupying Nazi Germans during World War II.

According to Ekathimerini, deputy Polish Foreign Minister Arkadiusz Mularczyk said on Tuesday his government in Warsaw would collaborate with other countries that suffered under Nazi occupation.

“Countries, individually, have failed to find justice for the victims… Therefore, we must work together to seek justice,” Mularczyk told a conference on reparations, held in Athens and co-organised by the Polish Foreign Ministry.

The conference was attended by the mayors and representatives of Greek towns where Nazi occupiers carried out civilian massacres.

Law professor and Greece’s former President Prokopis Pavlopoulos said while Germany’s post-war division has been used as a reason to limit compensation, the reparation claims can still not be ignored.

“Of course, Germany has apologised for its actions, acting with integrity,” Pavlopoulos said.

“German officials always attend events commemorating [World War II Nazi atrocities]. That is commendable but it does not negate the claims for compensation. Those claims exist.”

Greece’s claims were formally renewed in 2019 under a previous left-wing government. 

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Ange Postecoglou scores football Manager of the Year award

Tottenham Hotspur FC manager, Ange Postecoglou has been named Manager of the Year at the 2024 London Football Awards. According to Aleagues, Postecoglou came out victorious over Arsenal Manager...

Steve Ploubidis faces long recovery after fire destroys his SA takeaway shop

Steve Ploubidis, owner of Plato’s Greek Chargrill, has suffered third-degree burns after a fire broke out in his restaurant early last month.

South Melbourne FC push for glory as OFC Pro League reaches crunch time

South Melbourne FC head into the OFC Pro League finals series in Auckland among the favourites, with the inaugural Oceania title to be decided