Perth Mayor Basil Zempilas welcomes reopening of women’s shelter

·

More than six months after it closed its doors amid a tense political row, the Safe Night Space for vulnerable women escaping violence in Perth, Western Australia is expected to reopen within days.

The Safe Night Space is a unique program designed to provide critical shelter for vulnerable women, including those escaping domestic violence.

Ruah Community Services, who previously ran the service from the Rod Evans Community Centre in East Perth, sought temporary approval from the City of Perth to use the James Street premises for continuation of the program.

Under legislative powers, the proposal was called-in for Ministerial determination following the City of Perth’s decision to force a number of conditions on the facility.

After careful consideration through the proper process, Minister Sanderson resolved on Friday, June 21 to approve the application including varied conditions.

safe night space western australia
Advocates said the closure of the service would put vulnerable women at further risk of harm. Photo: ABC News / Keane Bourke.

The shelter will now run 7pm to 7am seven days a week, providing women with basic services including laundry, toilets and showers, but its approval is only for 30 months.

A proposed attendance curfew of 10pm has been removed; instead, clients will be encouraged to visit between 7pm and 10pm for planned visits. Emergency cases will be accepted after 10pm.

The requirement for a security guard to be at the premises during operational hours was also removed. Ruah’s security staff will hold hourly patrols.

This positive news comes after the City of Perth closed the Safe Night Space at the Rod Evans Centre in East Perth last November once its two-year trial came to an end.

After posting on X about the closure of the centre daily for the past 18 days, Mr Zempilas said he was “pleased to see this important service will be reopening.”

Source: Perth Now.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Greek PM: ‘Best-case scenario’ is we will reopen for tourism on July 1

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, said in an interview he had high hopes the tourism season would start July 1, as the Greek economy depends on it.

Food for Thought Network to host free online seminar for Women’s Health Week

The Leading Greek Australian Women’s Network are holding a free online seminar for Women's Health Week on Sunday September 10.

NSW Premier welcomes John Hatzistergos as ICAC Chief Commissioner

Dominic Perrottet confirmed the appointment of the Honourable John Hatzistergos as Chief Commissioner of ICAC on Thursday.