Nick Kyrgios claims five-set thriller to advance to Wimbledon second round

·

Nick Kyrgios is through to the second round at Wimbledon after beating rising French star, Ugo Humbert, in five sets for the second time at a grand slam this year.

“Not too bad for a part time player,’’ Kyrgios said after securing the match 9-7 in the fifth set, referring to the few matches he has played in the past 18 months.

“It didn’t take me much to get me off the couch in Canberra, Australia. Wimbledon is one of my favourite events, it was an easy decision for me.”

Kyrgios’ second clash with the 23-year-old this season featured its fair share of drama.

The match resumed precariously poised at 3-all in the fifth set after Wimbledon’s 11pm curfew cut the match short on Thursday morning (AEST).

About 16 hours later, the pair resumed play. After four relatively routine holds from both players, Kyrgios pounced.

At 7-all, he forced three break points on Humbert’s serve. He took the third opportunity.

The 26-year-old saved two break points while serving for the match before claiming his first match point in typical Kyrgios style – with a big first serve down the middle.

But it was the slickness of the grass that almost cost Kyrgios the victory when, at 6-6 in the fifth set, he hurt his hip while doing the splits at the back of the court.

Kyrgios screamed in pain as he slipped on the court, but was able to resume the match. Credit: Getty Images.

After rolling around for a few seconds, Kyrgios resumed play but was initially hampered in his movements, relying instead on his lethal serve.

“I was always gonna get up and play with one leg, I was going to finish the match,” he said, before adding: “I am not the most flexible bloke so anytime my legs spread a little bit apart, its like ‘argh’, it was pretty brutal.”

One service game later, Kyrgios pounced on his first opportunity to break Humbert’s serve and didn’t look back.

Having beaten the 21st seed 6-4, 4-6, 3-6, 6-1, 9-7, Kyrgios’ portion of the draw has now opened up. He will play world No. 77 Gianluca Mager in the second round.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Newborn baby found in ancient urn in Sicily expands Italy’s connection to Ancient Greece

The 2500-year-old remains have started an archaeological investigation, which officials say will continue to expand the theory of an ancient burial ground dating back to the first Greek inhabitants of Italy.

‘It is an honour’: Theodoros Tsantalidis one of 2,400 new Australian citizens in Parramatta

Theodoros Tsantalidis was among 2,400 people to be conferred as a new Australian citizen by the City of Parramatta earlier this month.

Merivale VIP Matthew Palavidis convicted of common assault after waitress complaint

Merivale VIP Matthew Palavidis has had charges of sexual touching without consent dismissed but was convicted of common assault.