New financial report reveals St Basils Fawkner faced insolvency amid COVID peak

·

St Basils Home for the Aged in Fawkner, Victoria was facing financial insolvency during the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, The Age has reported.

According to the latest financial report by St Basils Fawkner, which was lodged almost a year late, the home has not paid rent to the property owner, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, for years.

For the past decade, the home paid the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese an average annual rent of $2.37 million, but the chairman of St Basil’s Fawkner Bishop Evmenios confirmed to The Age the nursing home’s difficult financial position meant it was still not paying the church to occupy the site.

St Basil Fawkner’s auditor William Buck noted there was “material uncertainty” over the home’s ability to continue as a going concern.

The aged care home also had to slash staff dramatically after 45 residents died from COVID-19 and another five died from alleged neglect during a coronavirus outbreak at the facility in 2020. The outbreak is now the subject of a coronial inquest.

St Basils Fawkner during the outbreak in 2020.

The collapse in revenue from residents dying or departing did allow St Basils Fawkner’s to claim $2.4 million in JobKeeper payments from the federal government. 

The report, for the financial year ending June 2021, also revealed the nursing home needed 70 residents at the time to break even, well above the 59 residents the federal Health Department last week confirmed were currently living there.

In response, Bishop Evmenios said the home remained solvent and that since joining as Chairman in September 2020 he had, together with staff at the home, been “rebuilding a once proud and exemplary aged care facility.”

The families of residents who died at the facility told The Age they believe St Basils Fawkner should not have reopened following the deaths.

Source: The Age.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Melina Taprantzi aims to inspire youth to create social enterprises during video conference

The first Greek Australian Dialogue Series for 2021 is kicking off on March 2, with Founder of Wise Greece, Melina Taprantzi.

New Australian citizenship test to focus more on ‘Australian values’ rather than sporting history

The values-based questions will revolve around learning English, freedom of choice around marriage, religious views and family violence.

Vow Foods co-founder George Peppou sees potential in Future Made In Australia plan

George Peppou says building a manufacturing hub in Australia can have its advantages, hoping the budget will show manufacturing investments.