Mitcham councillor forced to apologise to three colleagues after implying they were racist on social media

·

Mitcham councillor Karen Hockley breached multiple codes of conduct when she implied her colleagues were racist in a Facebook post, a legal investigation has found.

Reported by The Advertiser, the Local Government Governance Panel launched a $6000 investigation Cr Hockley, finding that she breached four codes of conduct last year.

She will be forced to apologise to councillors Lindy Taeuber and Adriana Christopoulos – and former councillor Jasmine Berry, who resigned following the Facebook spat.

Cr Hockley last June made a Facebook post accusing the councillors of a “mass walkout” during a proposal she made for the council to voice official support for the recommendations from the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody.

Jasmine Berry.

The meeting closed three minutes before its scheduled finishing time after four councillors left, leaving it without a quorum. It meant Cr Hockley’s proposal could not be debated on the night.

Cr Hockley also alleged, in the comments of the Facebook post, that racism “maybe” existed within Mitcham Council.

The report found she failed to act in a way that would generate community trust and confidence in the council, did not show respect for her colleagues, did not endeavour to provide accurate information to the council and public, and did not endeavour to maintain a respectful relationship with all council members, regardless of differences.

Cr Hockley said she would apologise to her colleagues but she believed it was “a bit of a storm in a tea cup”.

“It could have been resolved informally with the councillors involved and yet it went through this process and cost the community four to six grand when it could have easily been discussed over a coffee or whatever and dealt with,” Cr Hockley said.

Sourced By: The Advertiser

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

They could die waiting: Aged care queues have left elderly at risk

New data reveals that 95,831 Australians approved for home care packages (HCP) will need to wait at least 12 months for the service.

Manolis Androulidakis: ‘Hope to bring joy to Greeks of Australia with my music’

Manolis Androulidakis boasts that he has achieved a lot so far in his career in music, but his dreams continue.

Senior Constable James Delinicolis to be sentenced for misconduct in public office

James Delinicolis, 30, is one of two police officers to plead guilty to one count related to a sexual encounter with a 17-year-old girl.