#MeTinSofia: Wave of support to Olympian sailing star after sex abuse revelation

·

A senior official at the Greek sailing federation has been forced to resign in the wake of sexual abuse allegations by one of the country’s top Olympians, the governing body said.

The federation said Saturday it was “shocked” by the claim made by former Olympic champion Sofia Bekatorou, which has sparked a flurry of revelations by other athletes.

Bekatorou, now 43, said she was 21 when she was subjected to “sexual harassment and abuse” by the senior federation member in his hotel room, shortly after trials for the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Her claims, which sparked a social media firestorm, have been seen as a belated #MeToo moment after decades of silence by sex abuse victims.

The federation, which had initially demanded Bekatorou supply more details of her allegations before taking action, said in a statement it had “immediately requested the resignation” of its vice-president Aristeidis Adamopoulos.

It said Adamopoulos “is allegedly the person named by our Olympian” in a prior testimony to a prosecutor.

Two federation board members also resigned in protest at the stance of the organisation, which is to hold elections later this year.

Bekatorou, who won gold at the 2004 Athens Games and bronze in Beijing four years later, is expected to speak to a prosecutor next week.

The Hellenic Olympic Committee has also called for an internal investigation at which Bekatorou and Adamopoulos — who represented Greek sailing on the HOC board — are invited to testify.

At a government-sponsored teleconference on sexual abuse on Thursday, Bekatorou said she ultimately decided to stay silent in order to keep competing.

Adamopoulos, who was also suspended as a member of Greece’s ruling New Democracy party, said late Saturday he should not be subjected to a trial by media, before giving his side of the story.

– ‘Respect my family’ –

“I call on the state, institutions and the media to first respect my family, my children and grandchildren,” Adamopoulos said in a statement.

A second sailor, Marina Psichogiou, also came forward late Saturday to say that a federation member “old enough to be my grandfather” made her an indecent proposal in 1993, when she was 20 years old.

Retired water polo player Mania Bikof had earlier said she had been forced to roll down her bathing suit to her waist so a medic could examine a shoulder injury, while ex-swimmer Rabea Iatridou said she had been groped by a doctor.

None of those complaints can be prosecuted as they occurred decades earlier.

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he “stood by” Bekatorou and urged other victims of sexual abuse to speak out.

“It is time to uproot the violence of those in power against anyone in a weak position,” Mitsotakis said in a Facebook post on Saturday.

Sexual abuse by elite coaches and sports officials has come under scrutiny since gymnastics in the United States was engulfed in a scandal that led to the jailing in 2018 of team doctor Larry Nassar for multiple cases of rape and sexual assault.

*With information from Reuters and BBC

If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, family or domestic violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

St Euphemia College hosts Hellenic National Defence delegation

St Euphemia College welcomed a distinguished delegation from the Hellenic National Defence General Staff (HNDGS).

St Spyridon College students shine at 2026 da Vinci Decathlon

Students from St Spyridon College took part in the 2026 da Vinci Decathlon at Knox Grammar School, with selected participants.

Oakleigh Grammar celebrates 10 years of changing lives with the Arrowsmith Program

Oakleigh Grammar proudly marked a significant milestone, celebrating 10 years of the Arrowsmith Program with a special evening.

Sydney commemorates 85 years since the Battle of Crete at Anzac Memorial

A commemorative event marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete was held at Sydney’s Anzac Memorial.

Feros family legacy honoured as Heritage Hotel Dorrigo gains State Heritage listing

More than a century after first opening its doors, the much-loved Heritage Hotel Dorrigo has been listed on the NSW State Heritage Register.

You May Also Like

Inaugural Greek Australian Careers Day focused on providing pathways to success

The Hellenic Medical Society of Australia and the Greek Community of Melbourne hosted the inaugural HMSA Careers Day.

Sydney hosts formal reception for Greece’s new Consul General and Trade Commissioner

People gathered in Sydney’s CBD to welcome Greece’s new Consul General George Skemperis and Trade Commissioner Christina Stefanidou.

‘No intent to offend’: Greek Australian business owner explains anti-mask stance

Nick Kondilis has apologised for a since-deleted Instagram story which said "being forced to wear a mask is a crime against humanity."