Man faces court after pleading guilty to murdering Greek Australian Frankie Prineas

·

Jayscen Anthony Newby faced ACT Supreme Court yesterday for the murder of Frankie Victor Prineas, who he stabbed almost 40 times after finding him in bed with a woman he once dated.

According to the statement of facts tendered in court, The Daily Telegraph reports, Newby had been on a night out with friends in Civic before catching a taxi to the woman’s home in Charnwood just after 1:00am on January 11, 2020.

Newby grabbed a knife from the kitchen then barged in and attacked the unsuspecting Mr Prineas as the woman begged him to stop.

After leaving the house, Newby drove to his mother’s home where he confessed to her, saying he had found the woman “screwing some guy” and that he “got him with a knife”.

Frankie Prineas was murdered by Jayscen Newby. Picture: Facebook/Supplied.

Mr Prineas died just over an hour later at the Canberra Hospital and Newby handed himself into police the next day.

Mr Prineas’s family members told the court he was a caring son, brother and cousin who was taken in the prime of his life when he was stabbed to death at Charnwood in January last year.

Mr Prineas’s father, Victor Prineas, told the court Newby “deserves no mercy” for killing his son, and should be handed a long jail term.

Photo: ABC News/Isaac Nowroozi

Mr Prineas’s mother, Phillipena Prineas, said her son was popular, loving and had his whole life ahead of him.

“Every fibre in my body aches for my son,” she said.

The court heard hundreds of people showed up at Mr Prineas’s funeral, and more than a thousand at a memorial car cruise held in his honour.

Newby will be sentenced on June 2.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

NSW Government to deliver safety, security and resilience for faith groups

The Minns Government is granting faith groups across NSW the opportunity to apply for a share of $15 million grants for security and safety.

Australia’s ‘premier multicultural conference’ returns to Melbourne after 18 years

FECCA Chairperson Mary Patetsos said the funding will allow community members and young people to come together from across the country to share their knowledge and lived experiences.

Investigation launched into death of teenage Greek boxing champion

16-year old Greek athlete, Vasilis Topalos, suffered a fatal head injury on December 12 at the gym where he trained in Tavros, Athens.