Magistrate Nick Alexandrides appointed to District Court in South Australia

·

A number of new appointments to the South Australian judiciary to fill a series of vacancies were announced on Thursday.

District Court Judge Julie McIntyre is being elevated to the Supreme Court, ahead of the retirement of Justice Kevin Nicholson.

Magistrates Nick Alexandrides and Michelle Sutcliffe will be appointed to the District Court to fill both Judge McIntyre’s vacancy and the vacancy created by the imminent retirement of Judge Paul Cuthbertson.

“Judge McIntyre, Magistrate Alexandrides and Magistrate Sutcliffe have all served with distinction in their time with the District and Magistrates Court respectively, and I’m sure their fine work will continue in their new roles,” Attorney-General, Kyam Maher, said in a statement.

Attorney-General Kyam Maher. Photo: Kelly Barnes/AAP

In addition, Kristopher Handshin KC has also been appointed to the District Court to fill a vacancy created with the elevation last year of Justice Kimber from the District to the Supreme Court.

Michael Barnett and Joanna Martin have been appointed to the Magistrates Court and in a historic South Australian first, Lana Chester and Natalie Browne become the first Aboriginal magistrates in history with their appointment to the judiciary.

Mr Maher said this is an exciting moment in South Australia’s state history with Ms Chester and Ms Browne taking on their appointments as the first Aboriginal magistrates in history.

“Both are exceptionally qualified, experienced appointees with a wealth of knowledge and experience that I’m sure will serve them well during their time in the Magistrates Court,” he added.

Judge McIntyre commences with the Supreme Court next week; while Judges Alexandrides, Sutcliffe and Handshin will take up their new roles throughout February; as will Magistrates Martin and Barnett.

“It is great to see the elevation of some exceptional judicial officers while simultaneously welcoming some new minds to the judiciary,” Mr Maher said.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Gravanis brothers buy Sydney’s iconic Luna Park

Sydney's iconic Luna Park has been purchased by Bill and Mario Gravanis, the brothers behind the Oscars Group.

‘Don’t Cry, Dance’: Nina Angelo’s novel preserves the life story of her Greek Jewish parents

In her new book Don’t Cry, Dance, Nina tells the story of her Greek Jewish parents who met in Auschwitz amid the Second World War.

Maria Sakkari exits Australian Open in first round

Maria Sakkari’s Australian Open campaign ended in the first round on Tuesday, as the Greek tennis star was defeated by Camila Osorio.