Lesbos fire damages Greek island refugee centre as tensions remain high

·

A fire broke out at a refugee centre on the Greek island of Lesbos, Greece’s firefighting service said Sunday, causing considerable damage to a warehouse but no injuries.

It was the second fire at an installation built for migrants, after a reception centre was burned down by unknown perpetrators last Monday. The warehouse, which contained furniture and electrical appliances, was completely destroyed, a firefighting service spokesman told the Associated Press, on condition of anonymity, because an investigation into the fire is ongoing.

The blaze at the refugee centre came amid a tense standoff between between Turkey and the European Union over who is responsible for the millions of migrants and refugees on Turkish territory and the thousands who have massed at the Greek border.

Thousands of migrants headed for Turkey’s land border with EU member Greece after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government announced earlier this month that it would no longer prevent migrants and refugees from crossing over to EU countries. Greece has deployed riot police and border guards to repel people trying to enter the country.

Read More: Turkey fabricating “fake news” about mistreatment of refugees, Petsas says

The Greek border area has since seen violent confrontations between the migrants and Greek security forces, with officers in Greece firing tear gas to block the migrants and Turkish police firing tear gas back at their Greek counterparts.

On Saturday, youths threw rocks at Greek police and tried to break down a border fence in a desperate attempt enter Greece. At least two migrants were injured in the skirmishes.

Erdogan will travel to Brussels on Monday to talk with top EU officials about a 2016 Turkey-EU agreement on containing the refugee flows to Europe which has now collapsed. The two sides have accused each other of failing to respect their commitments.

The deal called for Turkey to halt the flow of Europe-bound migrants and refugees in exchange for up to 6 billion euros ($6.7 billion) in aid for Syrian refugees on its territory, fast-track EU membership and visa-free travel to Europe for Turkish citizens.

Read More: Red Cross offers aid to Greece as multiple volunteer groups driven out of migrant camps

Erdogan has demanded that Europe shoulder more of the burden of caring for refugees, accusing the EU of failing to disburse the money. He announced that Turkey, which already houses more than 3.5 million Syrian refugees, would no longer be Europe’s gatekeeper.

The decision has irked EU countries, which are still dealing with the political fallout from a wave of mass migration five years ago. EU foreign ministers have criticized Turkey, saying it is using the migrants’ desperation “for political purposes.”

Thousands of migrants have slept in makeshift camps near the border since the Turkish government said they were free to go, waiting for the opportunity to enter Greece.

Sourced by: Associated Pres

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

Trust-building steps taken in Cyprus, but peace talks still elusive

Cyprus' rival leaders, Greek Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar, made some progress on Wednesday.

You May Also Like

Nursing home CEO expects ‘Golden Age’ to be over for Epping Gardens co-owners

Co-owners of the coronavirus-stricken nursing home Epping Gardens should be prepared for a tough industry environment, Greg Reeve says.

Man found guilty of fatally bashing Ross Houllis in Sydney

Abdul Karaali has been found guilty of the murder of 28-year-old Ross Houllis in Sydney over a pair of fake AirPods.

Christmas spirit on display by students from Greek Orthodox Community of NSW

The end-of-year school concert by the Greek Orthodox Community of NSW saw students get into the Christmas spirit.