Drew Pavlou, the 21-year-old ‘accidental activist’ taking on China

·

“It’s a witchhunt,” said 21-year-old Drew Pavlou in a special edition of 60 Minutes last night. He’s referring to how a small protest he organised in support of democracy in Hong Kong at the University of Queensland (UQ) this year, landed him a suspension and made him a target for the world’s biggest communist superpower, China.

“I think the University of Queensland suspended me because they realised my protest threatened a relationship with the Chinese government that was worth thousands of millions of dollars every year,” Drew added.

UQ has faced media scrutiny in recent months for its relations with the Chinese government, which has co-funded four of its courses. The institution is also home to one of Australia’s many Confucius Institutes, which are Beijing-funded education centres.

The Greek Australian really is an accidental activist. Photo by: 60 Minutes.

What the university hadn’t planned for however, was a young Greek Australian to rise up against this relationship and challenge it publicly for the whole world to see.

“When you grow up in a Greek Australian household, they are very fiery households. It’s the Mediterranean blood,” Drew told 60 Minutes reporter, Tom Steinfort.

“I think UQ and the Chinese government sort of underestimated me because they didn’t know that I’d already been forged in the fires of the Pavlou family household.”

The son of Nick and Vanessa Pavlou, who own a Brisbane fruit shop, Drew says his parents love to live “a nice quiet peaceful life” and that the death threats he received after the protest were hard for them.

“That’s the hardest part for me. It makes me feel really terrible that it’s brought my family into it and they never wanted that. They just want a quiet life. That’s probably the thing I’m most ashamed of,” Drew said.

But at the end of the day, his parents are still supportive of his newfound activism, albeit hesitantly.

“As a mother, you don’t want that for your child… I’m happy he’s found his passion and I want him to pursue that and we want to encourage that, but it’s not what we would’ve chosen,” Vanessa Pavlou said during the program.

And it seems his passion has only been ignited further with his court battle against UQ to revert his suspension having been lost this month.

60 Minutes reporter Tom Steinfort and Drew Pavlou. Photo by: 60 Minutes.

The student activist was recently informed he would be suspended for the remainder of the year and required to complete 25 hours of “campus service.” He was found guilty of two allegations of serious general misconduct and not guilty of seven other alleged offences. Something Drew says he will fight against.

“I will fight this decision every step of the way in the Supreme Court and will have total exoneration,” Drew said.

“The Chinese government have tried to scare me to stop my activism but why should they care about me? They only care because they can’t tolerate criticism anywhere, even from a seemingly nobody.”

READ MORE: University of Queensland student Drew Pavlou faces two year suspension for public criticism of Queensland relations with China.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

‘I like helping people’: Panayiotis Paras on being a qualified interpreter in NSW

The pool of language professionals has grown due to the NSW Government’s Multicultural Interpreting Scholarship Program.

BREAKING: Greek man becomes the fourth victim of coronavirus in New Zealand

Greek man of Cretan origin, Christos Tzanoudakis, is one of the two latest victims of the COVID-19 in New Zealand, bringing the total death toll to four.

Greece proposes EU-wide fund to combat rising energy costs

Greece's finance and energy ministers propose a revenue-raising fund in a joint letter to Eurogroup Paschal Donohoe.