Joanne Taskas recounts horrifying 1994 Adelaide NCA bombing in Supreme Court

·

CAUTION: Story may contain graphic details of injuries that some readers may find upsetting.

After decades of investigation and months of pre-trial argument, a six-month trial over the infamous 1994 NCA bombing started in the South Australian Supreme Court today.

Domenic Perre is accused of murdering Detective Sergeant Geoffrey “Bowie” Bowen and injuring Mr Wallis by sending a parcel bomb to the NCA building on Waymouth Street on March 2, 1994. The 63-year-old accused has pleaded not guilty to the offences.

Former NCA personnel officer Joanne Taskas told the Supreme Court that she had just poured a coffee, and was chatting with colleagues, when the parcel bomb exploded on March 2.

Geoffrey Bowen was killed in the blast at the NCA office in March 1994.

“We heard and felt a loud, hollow bang and all just started running toward it… (male workmates) were pushing on the door to Peter’s office… we could hear Peter screaming,” she said.

“I could see that the office was on fire… Peter was burned from the waist up, it was mostly open wounds.

“He was unrecognisable, I couldn’t determine anything about his face except his mouth, because it was moving.

“Peter was asking me about ‘Bowie’, he kept asking ‘is Bowie okay?’… he said ‘a bomb, a bomb’ a number of times.

“He complained that he had a pain in his stomach – it was the belt buckle of his pants, it had embedded in his stomach.”

Domenic Perre (left) is facing trial over the NCA bombing.(ABC News)

Ms Taskas told Justice Kevin Nicholson — who will determine the case in the absence of a jury — that she noticed a package sitting near security when she walked into work that day.

She added that she had never seen a package like it mailed to the NCA.

Former Australia Post staffer Wendy Den Hartog also gave evidence today, telling the court she handled the package before it was given to the NCA on March 2, 1994.

“I do remember it was large writing [on the package],” she said.

The trial, before Justice Kevin Nicholson and in the absence of a jury, continues.

Sourced By: ABC News

greek film festival sydney new

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Greek tennis stars have mixed success at Adelaide and Sydney tournaments

Greek tennis stars have been playing in Adelaide and Sydney tournaments and so far there's been mixed success.

New careers adviser to link language students in NSW with employment opportunities

The NSW Government appointed a new specialist careers adviser tasked with showing employment opportunities to multi-lingual young people.

George Georgiadis welcomes government decision to make SA the ‘spirits capital of Australia’

SA Spirit Producers Association president George Georgiadis has welcomed a new cash injection of up to $50,000 from South Australia's state government, leaving opportunity...