Iran moves two seized Greek tankers to Bandar Abbas amid row in the Gulf

·

The two Greek tankers seized by Iran’s Revolutionary Guards on Friday have been ordered to sail to Bandar Abbas on the southern coast of Iran on Sunday, Ekathimerini reports.

Iran’s Ports and Maritime Organization said in a statement the crews of the vessels have not been detained, and they were in good health and being cared for on board their vessels.

Their cell phones have also been returned to them over the weekend to communicate with their families.

The family of one of the Greek crew spoke to Star TV on Sunday after they communicated with their son. The “Iranians are still onboard,” the father said in his interview.

READ MORE: Iran lodges diplomatic complaint over Greece siding with US.

The Pegas tanker, that has recently changed its name to Lana, is seen off the port of Karystos on the Aegean Sea island of Evia, Greece, May 27, 2022. Photo: VOA News.

The two vessels were seized shortly after Tehran warned it would take “punitive action” against Athens over the confiscation of Iranian oil by the United States from a tanker held off the Greek coast.

Greece said on Friday an Iranian navy helicopter landed on Greek-flagged vessel Delta Poseidon in international waters and took the crew hostage. It said a similar incident took place on the other Greek-flagged vessel. Athens said both actions violated international law.

Greek authorities last month impounded the Iranian-flagged Pegas off Greece due to European Union sanctions. The United States later confiscated the Iranian oil cargo held onboard, Reuters reported on Thursday.

READ MORE: Greece increases security measures amid US-Iran tensions.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

IT graduate Kosta Drossos questions the future of his career with rise of AI

Kosta Drossos studied IT at Swinburne University and says there is an “increasing fear” of AI stealing tech jobs.

100-year-old priest honoured in Koromilia, Domokos

A deeply moving celebration was held in the village of Koromilia, Domokos, in honour of Archpriest Fr. Konstantinos Zachos.

Greece’s 2026 budget to deliver €3.2bn in permanent income support

More than 5 million Greek households will receive permanent income support from 2026 under measures totalling €3.2 billion annually.