Inquiry into death of severely ill toddler Noah Souvatzis continues

·

A severely ill toddler who died of meningitis was released from a remote Victorian hospital in worse condition than when he arrived, a coroner has heard.

According to 9News, an inquiry is being held into the death of 19-month-old Noah Souvatzis, who fell ill while on holiday with his parents in Myrtleford on December 29, 2021; he was vomiting, wailing for hours, and running a high temperature.

Unable to secure an appointment with their local GP in Melbourne, Noah’s parents, Ben and Steph decided to take him to an urgent care centre in town, the Alpine Health facility, after he became severely lethargic.

Ben and Steph Souvatzis make a statement to the media after giving evidence at the Coroners Court in the inquest into the December 2021 death of their 1-year-old boy Noah Souvatzis. (The Age)
Ben and Steph Souvatzis make a statement to the media after giving evidence at the Coroners Court for son, Noah Souvatzis. Photo: The Age.

Despite Souvatzis’ concerns that her son was still unwell, the doctor made the decision to discharge Noah.

“I remember feeling relief Noah had started vomiting again…because I thought it would mean [the doctor] would no longer make us leave,” Souvatzis said.

“He was sick when he went into hospital but now he deteriorated. He was so much worse than before he came in.”

Noah’s parents rushed him to the urgent care centre in Benalla after he began making strange squealing noises and his face became distorted. Noah was then taken to the Royal Children’s Hospital after he further deteriorated and was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.

At 3.11pm on December 30, Noah was declared brain dead.

Outside the Coroner’s Court, Noah’s parents remembered their son as a beautiful, gentle boy who loved cuddles and making others smile and laugh.

“We want a comprehensive investigation into the multiple failures that occurred that day,” Souvatzis added.

“We know our little boy would still be here today if all the medical services provided the expected level of care.”

Source: 9News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

Greece backs plan for migrant deportation hubs beyond EU borders

Greece is collaborating with Germany, the Netherlands, Austria and Denmark to establish deportation centres in third countries.

Greek constitutional law giant Antonis Manitakis dies aged 82

Prominent constitutional law professor and former minister Antonis Manitakis has passed away at the age of 82.

Greece tables bill for overseas postal voting

A draft law allowing Greeks living abroad to vote in parliamentary elections by post has been tabled by Interior Minister Thodoris Livanios.

You May Also Like

Farewell to Theo Palaxides: Adelaide’s hospitality pioneer with a big heart

On Sunday, January 17, family and friends of the late Theo Palaxides gathered to share a meal and cherish memories of one of South Australia’s Greek hospitality pioneers who died late last year, age 83.

Memory and identity: Dr Themistocles Kritikakos on recognition of Greek genocide

The Pontian Greek genocide will be commemorated this year in Sydney with a keynote speaking event on Friday, May 19 at the Hermes Lounge...

Darwin’s Cypriot community gathers to mark the anniversary of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus

Over 400 people from Darwin's Cypriot and Greek communities gathered to mark the 47th anniversary of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.