Inquest launched into SA police’s ability to stop crash that killed Joanne Shanahan

·

An inquest has been opened into whether South Australia’s police force had more resources to potentially intercept mentally ill driver Harrison Kitt before he caused a fatal crash.

The investigation was initiated on Tuesday, July 30 after counsel assisting Martin Kirby said Kitt was reported by multiple witnesses driving dangerously before he killed senior police officer Joanne Shanahan (nee Panayiotou) and mother Tania McNeill in a collision in 2020.

Kirby details Kitt had been reported to South Australian police by copious witnesses for speeding and driving dangerously but they weren’t able to provide the registration plate.

The inquest found Kitt was also picked up by a speed camera at 12.41pm travelling north on Victor Harbor Road, Tatachilla at a speed of 187km/h.

Harrison Kitt’s speeding vehicle. Photo: Coroners Court of South Australia.

“Because of the technology used and the manner in which those fixed cameras operate, this information was not passed on to SA Police or any other authority,” Kirby said.

“The unfortunate flow on from this limitation was that when later reports came of a speeding driver travelling dangerously on the Southern Expressway, the vehicle couldn’t be identified.”

Kitt was found not guilty of causing the two women’s deaths due to mental incompetence and was sentenced 10 years under supervision in 2022.

The late Joanne Shanahan (left) and Tania McNeill (right). Photo: ABC News.

The ongoing inquest however, disregards Kitt’s undiagnosed bipolar disorder at the time and instead focuses on the police resources available in the hour leading up to the fatal collision that may have been able to identify and prevent the fatal collision.

“And if not, what, if anything might help prevent a similar event happening in the future,” Kirby concluded.

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

Greek Community of Melbourne’s tribute to Mikis Theodorakis

VALE MIKIS THEODORAKIS The whole of the Greek speaking and philhellene world is reeling from the death of the great composer Mikis Theodorakis who leaves...

Greece says no talks with Turkey as long as survey ship in area

“As long as the Oruc Reis is in the area we will not hold exploratory contacts with Turkey,” Stelios Petsas told Skai Radio.

Greek youth in Perth hold meeting with Secretary General for Greeks Abroad

General Secretary for Greeks Abroad and Public Diplomacy, Professor John Chrysoulakis, has held his first meeting with diaspora in Australia.