Hunter Valley bus crash survivor Nick Dinakis confronts driver in court

·

Nick Dinakis, the survivor of a horrific wedding bus crash in the Hunter Valley 15 months ago which killed 10 including his partner Darcy Bulman, told a court on Monday, September 9 how he will never forgive the driver Brett Button.

On June 11, 2023, Button drove 35 guests 15 minutes home to Singleton after they had celebrated the wedding of their friends Mitchell Gaffney and Madeleine Edsell at Wandin Valley Estate. Passengers told him to slow down and that they were afraid, before the bus rolled on a roundabout about 11.30pm near Greta. It was later revealed he was addicted to opioids.

59-year-old Button pleaded guilty to 10 counts of dangerous driving occasioning death following the horror crash, which also injured 25 passengers.

Reading from a statement on Monday during an expected three-day sentence hearing for Button, Dinakis said he was a broken man.

Nick Dinakis and his partner Darcy Bulman. Picture: Instagram.

Dinakis planned to propose to Darcy on a long-awaited trip to Europe this year. He was on the bus, breaking his neck and suffering a brain injury which he may never recover from.

“You killed her. You took away her opportunity to become the one thing she always dreamt of – a mother. We both came from broken families and together we had created our own… You killed my family, the future mother of my children, my future wife, my best friend,” Dinakis said in court.

He spoke of how his career had been ruined, that he was now unable to work at the “top of my game” and suffered from crippling anxiety which stopped him being in public or social settings.

“My life is no longer for living but more about survival,” Dinakis said.

The victim impact statements will continue over the coming two days, with the Crown and defence to argue their cases before the sentence is expected to be handed down on Wednesday.

Source: Nine News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

Five members of Greek rescue team killed and two missing in Libya

Five members of the Greek rescue team were killed in a road accident travelling from the city of Derna from Benghazi in Libya.

Matthew Panayotopoulos nominated for Australian Teacher of the Year

Matthew Panayotopoulos from St Euphemia College, Bankstown, NSW has been nominated for Australian Teacher of the Year.

Greek bougatsa ranked among world’s best breakfasts

The Greek favorite, Bougatsa, has earned a prestigious spot in the Taste Atlas ranking of the world's top 100 best breakfasts.