Greek, Turkish foreign ministers meet after months of East Med tension

·

The foreign ministers of Greece and Turkey met on Thursday for the first time since a dispute emerged between the two NATO members over energy exploration and territorial rights in the eastern Mediterranean, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said.

A dispute between the two NATO allies and longtime rivals over maritime boundaries in the eastern Mediterranean this summer led to fears of open conflict as warships from both sides faced off.

Turkey’s foreign ministry released a short video of Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias and Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusloglu meeting on the sidelines of the Globsec Forum in Bratislava. The atmosphere of what both sides said was a brief meeting appeared cordial and even jovial as the two, both wearing masks, bumped elbows, patted each other on the shoulder and stood at a table to talk.

A Greek diplomatic official said the two agreed to set a date for the exploratory talks. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to reveal the contents of the meeting.

READ MORE: Turkey, Greece agree to resume talks after four years
READ MORE: Greek PM calls on Turkey to ‘stop provocations’ and start dialogue

The talks will be the 61st round of a long-running process of talks between Greece and Turkey designed to reduce tension and improve relations that are often testy between the two neighbors.

At odds over a series of issues, including territorial disputes in the Aegean Sea, the two countries have come to the brink of war three times since the mid-1970s. Earlier this summer, Turkey sent a research vessel escorted by warships to prospect for energy resources in the eastern Mediterranean in an area Greece says is over its own continental shelf and where it claims exclusive economic rights.

Greece mobilised its own navy fleet and put its armed forces on standby.

Ankara withdrew its exploration vessels from contested waters last month to “allow for diplomacy” ahead of a meeting of EU leaders. After the summit the bloc said it would punish Turkey if it continued its operations in the region.

Sourced By: Associated Press

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Victory for Tsitsipas against Shelton in Cincinnati Masters

Stefanos Tsitsipas (No.4) won against American Ben Shelton (No.40) to advance to the last 16 of the Cincinnati Masters.

EU condemns Turkey’s threat to launch missile attack on Greece

The European Union condemned the recent threats made by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to launch a missile strike on Athens, Greece.

Australian Federal Police mark 60 years of peacekeeping in Cyprus

The AFP is today celebrating its involvement in the 60th anniversary of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus.