Greek Jewish manuscripts ‘return home’ after being stolen by Nazis nearly 80 years ago

·

The Greek Jewish community is celebrating the return of a trove of manuscripts and community documents that the Nazis stole nearly 80 years ago.

The Central Board of Jewish Communities in Greece (KIS) announced in a statement earlier this month that Russia, which was in possession of the archives, had agreed to return them to their Mediterranean origin, after a diplomatic process supported by Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Nazis looted Thessaloniki, formerly home to one of Europe’s most vibrant Jewish communities, on July 11, 1942. The Soviet Union came into possession of the archive after their capture of the city on April 23, 1945. They took them to Moscow where they remained to be inherited by the Russian federation, after the USSR’s dissolution in 1991.

In pre-war Thessaloniki, the Capon family gathers for a festive afternoon at a taverna. Third from the left is Lina, with her sister Alice just behind her. Their father Hasdai is in front on the right, with their mother Vida beside him. Photo: Greece-is

“Our history returns home!” the Board wrote in the statement. “Greek Jews with immense emotion welcome the decision of the Russian President Putin that Russia returns the pre-War archives of the Greek Jewish Communities, and especially the archive of the Jewish Community of Thessaloniki.”

According to KIS, the archives include books and religious artifacts from 30 synagogues, libraries, and communal institutions in Thessaloniki.

Before the Holocaust, Thessaloniki was one of the most Jewish cities in Europe with a Jewish majority or plurality for much of the 19th century. The city’s Jewish community was primarily Sephardic, though it also included a small community of Romaniotes, Judeo-Greek speakers from Greece and Turkey who predated the Sephardic migration to the area after their expulsions from Spain in 1492.

During the spring and summer months of 1943, almost all of Thessaloniki’s Jews were deported to Auschwitz, where most perished.

“For Greek Jewry, these archives bring light to its historic course, sacred heirlooms of the light of life and the darkness of the looting and the Holocaust,” KIS said. “Their restitution would mean justice and would transmit knowledge about a part of the Greek people that contributed to the progress of the country and no longer exists, that of the 60,000 Greek Jews who were deported to and exterminated in the Nazi death camps.”

Source: Jewish Telegraphic Agency (JTA)

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Nikitas Kardoulias: Surviving Darwin’s Cyclone Tracy and life in Central Africa

Nikitas Kardoulias lived through Cyclone Tracy, which was a tropical cyclone that hit and devastated Darwin from December 24 – 26, 1974.

Greek community rallies to help rising tennis star Odysseas Geladaris compete in Australia

A campaign has been launched to support 17-year-old Greek tennis player Odysseas Geladaris, currently ranked No. 139.

The Latest: Tighter border restrictions introduced as SA, NSW and Victoria remain in lockdown

Here's The Greek Herald's lowdown on what's happening with borders and in the three states of New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia.