Greek health officials issue precautionary guidelines for spreading virus

·

Greek health officials said this week that the risk of a new SARS-like virus entering Greece is limited but went ahead and issued safety precautions.

National Public Health Organization (EODY) President Panagiotis Arkoumaneas met with officials from the World Health Organization (WHO) this week to discuss the deadly virus that spread rapidly in China last month leaving behind hundreds sick and at least nine fatalities.

The virus confirmed as being a coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is said to have now spread to six countries, including the US.

Based on current data from Greece and according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), the risk of the virus spreading to Greece is considered low.

The WHO is expected to convene in Geneva, today to decide on whether to declare the virus an international public health emergency, but health experts have confirmed that it can spread from person to person.

EODY said this week that it was keeping an eye on incoming travellers and has also distributed awareness-raising material with precautionary guidelines at airports, border posts, on board ships, and at hospitals.

The pneumonia-like symptoms caused by the virus, according to the WHO, include fever, fatigue, sore throat, and dry cough, which may later lead to difficulty in breathing.

The WHO issued the following guidelines:

1. Wash your hands regularly with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub.

2. Cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with a tissue or flexed elbow.

3. Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.

4. Cook meat and eggs thoroughly.

5. Do not come into contact with live wild or farm animals.

Sourced by: GTP Headlines

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Greece’s Foreign Minister calls for humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza

The Foreign Affairs Minister of Greece, Giorgos Gerapetritis, called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza on Monday, November 13.

Battle of Crete Commemorative Council takes part in Hellenic Army Academy’s Melbourne visit

The Battle of Crete and Greece Commemorative Council had the great honour of welcoming to Melbourne the official delegation.

Emily Pugin presents credentials as Australia’s new High Commissioner to Cyprus

Career diplomat Emily Pugin has formally begun her role as Australia’s High Commissioner to the Republic of Cyprus.