Greek government axes child charity’s leadership amid sexual abuse claims

·

The Greek government said on Monday it will replace Ark of the World’s administration amid a barrage of sexual abuse allegations against the well-known children’s charity.

The decision was made at a meeting chaired by Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis focused on ensuring the protection of children at the charity (known in Greece as Kivotos tou Kosmou) for the judicial investigation into allegations of bodily and sexual abuse.

“The allegations are serious, particularly as they concern the extremely sensitive issue of children that have been removed from their family environment,” Greek government spokesman Giannis Oikonomou said after the meeting.

Greek government spokesman Giannis Oikonomou spoke after the meeting.

“These allegations must be fully investigated… The case is in the hands of justice.”

So far, there are three allegations of sexual abuse and four of beatings. The Ark of the World, which hosts scores of children in five facilities, has denied the allegations.

Source: AP News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

A lifetime of diplomacy: A conversation with Prokopis Vanezis

It was an afternoon full of stories—many untold—poetry, dragons, and a single fairy unfolds as the present meets the past to discuss the future.

Cyprus’ cultural heritage is not for sale

For centuries, ancient artefacts, art, and relics have been a topic of ownership, provenance, and morality debates.

Beyond sheftalies: Cypriot Australian youth keep reunification flame burning 50 years on

Young Cypriot Australians, born decades after the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974, are grappling with the conflict’s enduring legacy.

50 years of occupation: Who remembers Cyprus?

At the Ledra Palace check point in Nicosia, Cyprus stands a red and white sign that reads: ‘TURKISH REPUBLIC OF NORTHERN CYPRUS FOREVER.'

High Commissioner of the Republic of Cyprus in Australia marks invasion anniversary

The High Commissioner of the Republic of Cyprus, Antonis Sammoutis, has sent a message to mark the 50th anniversary of the Turkish invasion.

You May Also Like

Fertility clinic raided in Crete has left Australian parents denied access to their newborns

Some 150 Australian families are believed to be caught up in a scandal involving a Greek surrogacy clinic in Crete.

Cypriot basketballer Marissa Pangalos joins Eastern Suns down under

After a stint in Germany last year, Cypriot basketballer Marissa Pangalos joins Australia's NBL1 West League, signing to the Eastern Suns.

Nikos Dendias: Greece and Bahrain share stance on international sea law

Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias, has met with his Bahraini counterpart Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani.