Greek Foreign Minister asserts ‘borders don’t change’ following Evros border claims by Turkey

·

After a Turkish ploy to claim a patch of the Evros River’s southern section, Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias confirmed that the extension of the border fence across the Evros River will continue and will be completed.

Speaking with Kathimerini, Dendias dismissed the “misinformation” that a Greek patch in the region of Evros was occupied by Turkish forces.

“Borders are a given. They do not change and they cannot change,” Dendias said to Kathimerini.

The issue came to fruition after Turkey lodged a demarche seeking information on the coordinates of Greece’s fence extension for the Evros border.

Greece confirms that the metal fence will be completed. Photo: Archyde

Athens, Dendias said, rejected the Turkish request with a demarche of its own, “as what we do within the limits of our national sovereignty is our privilege and responsibility and we are not obliged to give account to anyone.”

Greece, he said, then lodged a fresh demarche after Turkish activity was detected in the region.

“From then on, an unacceptable spread of misinformation took place, about the occupation of, for example, 1.6 hectares of Greek territory,” Dendias said.

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis denied press reports that Turkey had invaded Greek land in the northeastern Evros area, echoing statements from Ankara that there were technical issues that needed to be resolved.

“There is no border dispute,” Mitsotakis said in a pre-recorded interview with Greek broadcaster Star on Monday. Turkey had become nervous about Greece’s decision to build the fence, but it was “our inalienable right to do it and we’ll do it”, he said.

Mitsotakis said Greece would prevent swathes of migrants from entering the country, whatever Turkey’s policy.

“We are not going to accept a policy of mass inflows. Protecting our borders and European borders is an acqui,” he said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Tasmania hosts Synapantema as Pontians honour genocide motion

The Synapantema is a long standing and much anticipated annual gathering of Pontian Australians. Read more about their Tasmanian event here.

Hellenic Village members discuss Kemps Creek property sale at Annual General Meeting

Member representatives that sit on the Board of Directors of The Hellenic Village Ltd held their Annual General Meeting (AGM) last week.

Andrew Liveris: ‘Australia has to be a leader’

Andrew Liveris AO spoke about Australia's opportunity for industrial expansion during a National Press Club address Wednesday afternoon.