Turkey and Libya recommit to contested maritime borders deal, angering Greece

·

The head of Libya’s new interim government and Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, on Monday affirmed their commitment to a controversial 2019 maritime agreement that has angered Greece and Cyprus.

Speaking following a meeting in Ankara with Libyan Prime Minister, Abdul Hamid Dbeibah, Erdogan pledged to support Libya’s unity, its reconstruction and its military. Turkey would also be sending 150,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses, as well as manage a pandemic hospital in Tripoli, to help the North African country battle its outbreak, Erdogan said.

Libya’s interim government, which took power last month, is meant to bring together a country that has been torn apart by civil war for nearly a decade. It is also aims to steer through a general election on December 24.

A handout photo made available by the Turkish President Press office shows, Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, (right) and Libya’s interim Prime Minister, Abdulhamid Dbeibeh, during a press conference after their meeting at the Presidential Palace in Ankara on Monday. Source: EPA.

Turkey has been closely involved in Libya, backing the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA), based in the capital Tripoli that controlled the west, against the Libyan National Army (LNA), based in Benghazi that controlled the east. Turkey sent military supplies and fighters to Libya, helping to tilt the balance of power in favor of the Tripoli government.

Turkey also signed an agreement with the Tripoli-based government delineating the maritime boundaries between the two countries in the Mediterranean, triggering protests from Greece and Cyprus. Both countries denounced the agreement, saying it was a serious breach of international law that disregarded the rights of other eastern Mediterranean countries.

“The memorandum of understanding concerning the maritime jurisdiction in the Mediterranean that we signed with our neighbor Libya, has secured the interest and future of both countries,” Erdogan said.

Dbeibah, who has been trying to strike a balance between Turkey and Greece following Athens’ concerns over the maritime deal, also said the deal serves both Turkey and Libya’s national interests. He added however, that it was important to start a dialogue that would take into account all involved parties’ interests.

Previously, Dbeibah has said his government is willing to establish a joint Libyan-Greek committee to resume negotiations to set the sea boundary between the two countries and demarcate an exclusive economic zone for oil and gas drilling rights.

Dendias vows Greece ‘is back’ in Libya:

Meanwhile, Greece called for the accord to be cancelled, as it reopened its embassy in Libya after seven years on Monday.

Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias, met Libya’s alternative Prime Minister, Hussein Atiya Abdul Hafeez Al-Qatrani, in Benghazi on Monday and noted that Libya’s parliament had not ratified the accord, which Greece considers has no legal force.

Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias (left), met Libya’s alternative Prime Minister, Hussein Atiya Abdul Hafeez Al-Qatrani, in Benghazi on Monday. Source: ANA-MPA.

“Greece has always believed that the solution of Libya’s problems must come from the immediate departure of all foreign armed forces and foreign mercenaries from Libyan soil,” he stressed.

The minister also traveled to Benghazi to meet with representatives of the Greek community of the region.

“Greece is back to help as much as it can. With our people, with our identity as a European Union member, and we hope to maintain our friendship with Libya and help Libya move forward and become a prosperous and stable country,” he said to a gathering of Greeks in Benghazi.

Source: AP News / Ekathimerini.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

‘The Taverna’ set to make national debut with a strong serving of laughter

Director Alkinos Tsilimidos' new film, The Taverna, is hilarious and you can be lucky enough to watch it in specific cinemas across Australia from today.

South Australia goes into six-day COVID-19 lockdown

South Australia will be ordered into a major lockdown for six days in what the Government is describing as a "circuit breaker".

Female bones unearthed at Mount Athos the “eternal male monastery”

A group of scientists announced on Sunday in Thessaloniki that they had discovered bones “most certainly” belonging to a woman who was buried centuries...