Turkey flexes military muscle near Kastellorizo as Greece calls the move ‘illegal’

·

Turkey’s oil and gas exploration vessel, Oruc Reis, has arrived in the waters above the continental shelf of Greece near Kastellorizo, Turkey’s Energy and Natural Resources Minister, Fatih Donmez, said on Monday.

The announcement came after Turkey issued a Navtex, or international maritime safety message, early Monday stating the Oruc Reis and two auxiliary ships would be conducting seismic exploration in the area until August 23.

In response, Greece’s Foreign Ministry said the Navtex, “combined with the observed broad mobilisation of units of the Turkish Navy, constitutes a new serious escalation” and is ‘illegal.’

“Greece will not accept any blackmail. It will defend its sovereignty and sovereign rights. We call on Turkey to immediately end its illegal actions that undermine peace and security in the region,” the Foreign Ministry’s statement reads.

The Turkish Defense Ministry released this image on Monday of the Oruc Reis travelling towards Kastellorizo. Photo: Turkish Defense Ministry.

Greek Minister of State, Giorgos Gerapetritis, added the Oruc Reis was being monitored by the Greek navy.

“We are at full political and operational readiness,” Gerapetritis said on state television ERT.

“The majority of the fleet is ready at this moment to go out wherever is needed,” he added when asked to elaborate. “Our ships that are sailing in crucial areas were already in place days ago. If necessary, there will be a greater development of the fleet.”

Gerapetritis said that “it is clear that we are not seeking any tension in the region. On the other hand, our determination is a given.”

Photo: Turkish Defense Ministry.

Greece on Monday issued its own maritime safety message saying the Turkish Navtex had been issued by an “unauthorised station” and referred to “unauthorised and illegal activity in an area that overlaps the Greek continental shelf.”

Turkey retorted with another maritime message saying the seismic survey was being conducted on Turkey’s continental shelf.

Speaking after a four-hour Cabinet meeting, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned that Turkey would not confine its offshore exploration efforts to its immediate coastline, but otherwise appeared conciliatory.

“Let’s come together as Mediterranean countries. Let’s find a formula that’s acceptable for everyone, that protects everyone’s rights,” he said in a televised speech.

He added: “We are always there and ready for the solution of disputes through dialogue and on a fair basis. We will continue to implement our own plans in the (eastern Mediterranean) and in the field of diplomacy until common sense prevails in this regard.”

At the crux of the dispute is whether islands should be included in calculating a country’s continental shelf and maritime zones of economic interest.

Turkey argues they should not be, a position Greece says violates international law. Greece has thousands of islands and islets in the Aegean and Ionian seas, around 200 of them inhabited.

READ MORE: ‘No need for discussion,’ says Erdogan as Turkey restarts drilling in eastern Mediterranean.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Father Antonios convicted on multiple abuse charges in Ark of the World case

Father Antonios has been sentenced to 9.5 years’ imprisonment, commuted to a fine exceeding €60,000, after Greece’s court found him guilty.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released as Epstein-linked probe continues

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

You May Also Like

Empowering women and inspiring the future at HACCI Victoria’s Christmas party

The Hellenic Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (HACCI) Victoria hosted its annual Christmas party.

World-first robot cave tour guide Persephone leads visitors through Greek caves

Persephone is a multilingual robot who leads the public through the first 150 metres of the Alistrati Cave in northern Greece.

Greek Orthodox Community of St George in Brisbane’s exposure sites

The Greek Orthodox Community of St George in South Brisbane has been listed as a COVID-19 exposure site. A mother who works as an...