New British Museum director hints at lending the Parthenon Marbles to Greece

·

The new Director of the British Museum, George Osborne, has spoken of the possibility of returning the Parthenon Marbles to Greece for a limited time in an interview published by The Times on Friday.

In the article titled, ‘It’s right to be proud of the British Museum,’ Mr Osborne discussed at length the current issues of “awakening” and the removal of monuments related to the slave trade in Britain.

“Certainly there are those who question our right to exist,” Mr Osborne wrote, adding “they did it in 1753 and they do it again in 2021.”

READ MORE: ABC speaks with Greek Australians fighting for the return of the Parthenon marbles to Athens.

George Osborne.

“Of course, there are those who demand the return of items that they think we have no right to keep. This is not new either. Lord Byron thought that the Elgin marbles should be returned to the Parthenon. Our answer is no.”

Instead, the former British finance minister suggested the museum could consider lending the Parthenon Sculptures to Greece with the corresponding guarantees for their safe preservation and their return.

READ MORE: Greek PM reiterates call for return of Parthenon Marbles as British public opinion shows support.

The Parthenon Marbles.

“We are open to lending our items wherever they can take care of them and ensure their safe return – something we do every year, including in Greece,” he wrote.

This article comes just after the visit of Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, in London last month where he spoke with his UK counterpart, Boris Johnson, about the repatriation of the Marbles. Mr Johnson said the issue was a matter for the British Museum.

READ MORE: UK PM rebuffs Greek PM’s demand for talks on Parthenon marbles.

Source: The Times.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

NT’s first industrial manslaughter trial faces global witnesses and legal uncertainty

The Northern Territory’s first industrial manslaughter trial is set to investigate the 2020 death of 60-year-old Alan Dinning.

Greek ex-Minister sues newspaper over accusations of Mati fire ‘cover-up’

A recent article by Kathimerini about the Mati fire in July 2018 which cost the lives of more than 100 people, has caused outrage throughout Greece.

Greece, Cyprus and Australia join condemnation of Israeli settlement plans

Greece, Cyprus, Australia were among 25 countries in a joint declaration condemning Israel’s plans to build settlements in the E1 area.