Greek authorities arrest father of child killed during capsizing of refugee boat

·

Greek authorities have arrested a refugee whose son died while attempting to reach a Greek island from the nearby Turkish coast on suspicion of endangering a life, a crime that could carry a penalty of up to 10 years in prison.

The 25-year-old man and his 6-year-old son, both Afghans, were among a total of 25 people who were found on the shores of the eastern Aegean island of Samos early Sunday.

RELATED: One child dead, six refugees missing as boat capsizes near Samos island.

The coast guard said the body of the 6-year-old boy was found with one woman on a part of the coast that was particularly difficult to access, while the others were found in small groups elsewhere.

According to the coast guard, the refugees said they had come across from the Turkish coast in a dinghy. Authorities said it was unclear what had happened to the boat, and exactly how the child had died.

The coast guard said Monday a 23-year-old who had been identified as having driven the boat was arrested on suspicion of smuggling, while the boy’s 25-year-old father was arrested on suspicion of violating endangerment laws.

Greece is one of the most popular routes for people fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East, Asia and Africa and hoping to enter the European Union. The vast majority make their way to eastern Greek islands from the nearby Turkish coast.

Although the distance is small, the journey is often perilous, with smugglers frequently using unseaworthy and vastly overcrowded boats and dinghies that sometimes capsize or sink.

Although it is common for Greek authorities to arrest whoever is identified as having steered a refugee vessel to Greece, in the cases of shipwrecks it is rare for the surviving parents of children who die to be charged with criminal offences.

“These charges are a direct attack on the right to seek asylum and it is outrageous that a grieving father is being punished for seeking safety for him and his child,” Josie Naughton, founder of the aid organisation Help Refugees/Choose Love, said.

“Criminalising people that are seeking safety and protection shows the failure of the European Union to find a solution to unsafe migration routes that forced thousands to risk their lives to seek protection.”

READ MORE: New EU taskforce set up to deal with refugees on Lesvos.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Israel expresses support for Greece’s sovereign rights and territorial integrity

Israel’s Foreign Minister, Eli Cohen, expresses support for Greece’s sovereign rights and territorial integrity.

Greece beat England for the first time in UEFA Nations League

Greece secured their first-ever win against England as Vangelis Pavlidis scored twice in a well-earned 2-1 victory on Thursday.

Cyprus Community of NSW for ANZAC Day: Liberation must be respected

This year, the Cyprus Community of NSW is set to take part in more ANZAC events, as well as announce the unveiling of its War monument.