Greece’s National Security Adviser resigns over Turkey remarks

·

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis’ top national security adviser stepped down on Wednesday, after suggesting that Greece conceded ground to Turkey in the neighbours’ ongoing face-off over offshore energy rights in the eastern Mediterranean.

Alexandros Diakopoulos said his comments, which he had later retracted, “caused confusion and created a problem” for Mitsotakis and his center-right government, “which was not my intention.”

Over the past 10 days, Greek and Turkish warships have been shadowing each other between the island of Crete, southern Turkey and Cyprus, waters where Turkey sent a research ship to look for potential undersea gas and oil deposits. Turkey and Greece are historic regional rivals and nominal NATO allies.

The Oruc Reis travelling towards Crete. Photo: Turkish Defense Ministry.

Greece says it has exclusive economic rights on much of the seabed Turkey is surveying, and demanded that the Turkish government withdraw the Oruc Reis research vessel and its naval escort. Ankara refused to do so, arguing it has every right to prospect there and in waters claimed by Cyprus.

READ MORE: Erdogan says Turkey ‘will not back down’ in east Med standoff.

Diakopoulos embarrassed the Greek government by saying in a TV interview that the Turkish ship had been able to conduct research — contradicting the official narrative that Greek naval ships deployed to the area had prevented any real work from being carried out over the country’s continental shelf.

Greece’s main opposition Syriza party contrasted the national security adviser’s comments with the government’s contention that any attempt to breach Greek sovereignty would trigger a harsh response.

Mitsotakis has balanced tough talk with a desire to avoid starting a military confrontation with Greece’s much bigger and more heavily-armed neighbor. The prime minister has also focused on drumming up support from European Union partners and other regional countries.

READ MORE: Greece to call for emergency EU ministers’ meeting on Turkey tensions.

Source: AP News.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

Amaretti: A sweet treat from My Greek Kitchen

Niki Louca from My Greek Kitchen shares her favourite recipe for Amaretti (a bitter-sweet flavored macaroon) with The Greek Herald.

The Italian occupation and bombardment of Corfu

In 1923, a year after Mussolini rose to power fascist Italy revealed its expansionist ambitions in the Balkans.

You May Also Like

Lonely Planet names Greece the top travel destination for sustainable food

Greece has been named as the top travel destination for sustainable food in Lonely Planet's 'Best in Travel 2021' list.

Thanasi Kokkinakis comes from behind to progress at Citi Open

Thanasis Kokkinakis came back from 2-6, 2-4 down to beat Taro Daniel in his Washington debut to advance to the second round at the Citi Open.

Greece’s Alternate Interior Minister awarded by Archbishop Makarios of Australia

Archbishop Makarios of Australia welcomed Greece's Alternate Minister of Interior, Theodore Livanios at the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese.