Greece to build permanent migrant centre on Lesvos to replace Moria

·

Greece will build a permanent migrant reception centre on Lesvos to replace the overcrowded refugee camp destroyed by a fire last week, Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, said on Sunday.

The fire at the Moria reception centre last week left more than 12,000 people without shelter, forcing most to sleep out in the open without proper sanitation or access to food and water, and pushed the migration issue back up the European agenda.

RELATED: Moria ‘completely destroyed’ as fire tears through migrant camp.

Mitsotakis said the construction of a new reception centre on the island to replace the notoriously squalid and overcrowded Moria facility would be the chance to reset the policy behind handling migrant arrivals.

A woman washes a girl as migrants gather near Mytilene town, on the northeastern island of Lesbos, Greece, Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020. Credit: AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris.

“We want to turn this problem into an opportunity,” Mitsotakis said.

“Europe should be a lot more involved in the management of the new centre wherever we finally decide it should be.”

RELATED: Europe scrambles to address fate of homeless refugees after Greek camp fire.

He appeared to dismiss protests by Lesvos residents who have opposed the creation of a new centre, as well as by migrants demanding to be resettled away from the island.

“I want to say with absolute certainty that there will be a permanent reception and identification centre – I want to send this message in all directions,” he said.

Greek authorities began admitting migrants to temporary tent accommodation outside the main port of Mytilene on Saturday. In a concerning development, they identified what Mitsotakis said were “dozens” of cases of COVID-19.

Migrants were admitted to temporary tent accommodation outside the main port of Mytilene on Saturday. Photo: Reuters /

Officials had been worried about the potential for an uncontrolled spread of the disease from the Moria camp, which had been placed under quarantine before it burned down following the discovery of at least three dozen positive cases.

RELATED: First ever coronavirus case reported in Moria refugee camp on Lesvos.

In the chaos following the fire on Wednesday, authorities lost sight of 35 people who had tested positive, deepening fears of an outbreak among migrants sleeping closely together without proper sanitation.

Earlier, Migration Minister, Notis Mitarachi, said he expected around 1,000 people could be settled in the new tented shelter on Sunday and more would be able to come in over the coming days.

“We want to ensure that everybody has a tent, food and water,” he told reporters.

Source: Reuters.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

The late Ismini (Pitsa) Parrett leaves a lasting legacy on the field of exercise therapy

The late Ismini (Pitsa) Parrett was a "marvellous woman" who left a lasting legacy on the field of exercise therapy, her husband says.

Tennis couple Paula Badosa and Stefanos Tsitsipas to play French Open mixed doubles

Popular tennis couple Paula Badosa and Stefanos Tsitsipas are among the stars competing in the French Open mixed doubles draw.

From Cyprus invasion to SA politician: How Andrea Michaels’ tough upbringing shaped her

Andrea Michaels MP gives an interview to The Greek Herald to mark the 50th anniversary of the 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus this year.