Crete earthquake: 1 dead, 20 injured, tents set up for homeless residents

·

Greek authorities set up tents for the homeless residents of the village of Arkalohori in southern Crete on Monday evening, after an earthquake registering 5.8 on the Richter scale killed one person and injured 20.

The majority of the old buildings in Arkalohori sustained heavy damage and were deemed unsafe. Tents were also set up at villages along the municipality of Minoas Pediadas, where hundreds of homes have been damaged.

Tents have been set up in the village of Arkalohori. Photo: Intime News.

The Athens Geodynamic Institute said the 5.8 magnitude quake struck at 9:17 a.m, with an epicenter 246 kilometers south southeast of the Greek capital, Athens.

READ MORE: On This Day: The 1956 Santorini earthquake and its devastating aftermath.

The quake sent people fleeing into the streets in the city of Iraklio, and schools were evacuated. Repeated aftershocks — described by witnesses as feeling like small explosions — rattled the area, adding to damage in villages near the epicenter.

Aftermath of an earthquake in Arkalochori, eastern Crete, Greece, 27 September 2021. Photo: Nikos Chalkiadakis/EPA.

“The earthquake was strong and was long in duration,” Iraklio mayor, Vassilis Lambrinos, told private Antenna television.

Of the 20 people treated for injuries, ten of them received first aid according to hospital officials.

Greece’s Climate Crisis and Civil Protection Ministry said one man had been killed. He was pulled from the rubble of a partially collapsed church in Arkalochori, authorities said.

READ MORE: Strong earthquake in Aegean Sea kills at least 14 people in Turkey And Greece.

Firefighters stand next to a demolished Greek Orthodox church of Profitis Ilias after a strong earthquake in Arkalochori village. Photo: AP Photo/Harry Nikos.

Local media said the victim was a 65-year-old builder who had been working inside the church when the roof collapsed on him.

Government spokesman, Giannis Oikonomou, said there were no reports of people missing or trapped under rubble.

Climate Crisis and Civil Protection, Christos Stylianides, arrived at the area on Monday afternoon, heading the team that oversees the reconstruction work. He declared a state of emergency in the area. 

READ MORE: Greece and New Zealand become the first to use android earthquake alerts.

An elderly man stands inside his house after a strong earthquake in Roussochoria village, Crete. Photo: AP Photo/Harry Nakos.

The fire department said it was flying 30 members of its disaster response units with sniffer dogs and specialized rescue equipment to Crete, while all its disaster response units and the fire department services on Crete were placed on general alert.

Numerous aftershocks struck the area, with the EMSC giving a preliminary magnitude of 4.6 for the two strongest.

Greece lies in one of the most seismically active parts of the world, but strong quakes that cause extensive loss of life or widespread damage are rare. In 1999, an earthquake just outside Athens killed 143 people.

READ MORE: On This Day in 1999: Earthquake strikes Athens, killing 143 people.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

Dominic Lambrinos leads $130m Hunter Valley ‘seven-star’ resort plan

Finance and hotel developer Dominic Lambrinos is behind a $130 million “seven-star” resort and medi-spa planned for the NSW Hunter Valley, supported by 70...

Former Brisbane doctor Stan Theodoros charged with 148 alleged sexual offences

Former Brisbane GP Stan Theodoros has been charged with 148 alleged sexual offences following a major Queensland Police investigation.

Snowtown killer James Vlassakis unmasked as court lifts suppression order

Snowtown murderer James Vlassakis has been identified for the first time after South Australia’s Court of Appeal revoked suppression orders.

You May Also Like

Man charged with assaulting Penelope Katsavos faces court

Amrick Roy, 26, appeared before Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday, charged with assaulting Penelope Katsavos outside the South Yarra Greek Orthodox Church last Saturday morning.

Greek President, Katerina Sakellaropoulou, commemorates Chios massacre

Greece's President, Katerina Sakellaropoulou, visited the Eastern Aegean island of Chios on Sunday to commemorate the Chios massacre.

Paros makes Top 10 in Expedia’s Winter destinations list for 2023

The Greek Island of Paros has recently made its way onto Expedia’s list for the best and most sought-after destinations for winter.