6-year-old dies of injuries in Greek migrant camp fire

·

A 6-year-old boy from Iran died of burns suffered during an overnight fire at a migrant camp northwest of Athens, Greek authorities said on Wednesday.

The blaze broke out late on Tuesday at a short-term residence facility near the town of Thebes, about 90 kilometers from the Greek capital. Nobody else was reported injured.

The fire service said in a statement that firefighters sent to the incident were initially prevented by camp residents from entering, and had to call police support to get in and extinguish the blaze.

By then, the boy had already been brought unconscious out of the building where the fire broke out. He was pronounced dead in hospital.

The cause of the fire is being investigated.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Ali Zacharias clings to moving car to save dog from thieves

Ali Zacharias clung to a car hood in order to save her beloved French bulldog from thieves, getting the the attention of the LAPD.

Acropolis Museum refutes reports of coin theft at excavation site

The Acropolis Museum has refuted allegations that coins were removed from its excavation site along Dionysiou Areopagitou street on Tuesday.

Alleged racial abuse at Preston versus Heidelberg NPL match under review

Football Victoria is investigating alleged racist abuse at an NPL match between Preston Lions FC and Heidelberg United FC.