Greece vows to empty Lesvos of all refugees by Easter after fire

·

In an exclusive interview with The Guardian, Greece’s Civil Protection Minister, Michalis Chrysochoidis, has vowed that the island of Lesvos will be emptied of refugees by next Easter.

Following the devastating fires that destroyed the notoriously overcrowded Moria facility last week, Greece’s top public order official added plans would be accelerated to decongest the outpost.

“They will all leave,” Mr Chrysochoidis told The Guardian.

“Of the roughly 12,000 refugees here currently, I foresee 6,000 being transferred to the mainland by Christmas and the rest by Easter. The people of this island have gone through a lot. They’ve been very patient.”

Greece’s Civil Protection Minister, Michalis Chrysochoidis, has vowed that the island of Lesvos will be emptied of refugees by next Easter.

READ MORE: Moria ‘completely destroyed’ as fire tears through migrant camp.

About 70 percent of asylum seekers on Lesvos were Afghans who would be awarded refugee status and given travel papers, he said. Recognised refugees can move to another EU member state for up to three months using the documents.

Chrysochoidis, who flew into Lesvos to help oversee relief efforts, also welcomed reports that Germany was prepared to take in as many as 1,500 people from Moria.

The German coalition government on Tuesday agreed to take in a total of 1,553 people from 408 families whose protected status has been confirmed by Greek authorities, Angela Merkel’s spokesperson said.

“It’s very generous, very brave,” Chrysochoidis said of the goodwill gesture.

The remains of the Moria camp on the Greek island of Lesbos on Wednesday. Credit: Angelos Tzortzinis/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images.

“All over Europe, countries have their own internal political problems around this issue but I also think they [EU states] can see we are protecting the bloc’s borders, we have greatly minimised flows.”

Merkel insisted on Monday any transfer of migrants to Germany would need to go hand-in-hand with a broader European initiative, emphasising her support for Greek plans for a new reception centre on Lesbos.

READ MORE: Greece to build permanent migrant centre on Lesvos to replace Moria.

The Greek government has pledged to build a new structure on the island that will be co-managed by EU agencies, but says construction of the camp in a place that has yet to be decided will require at least six months.

A general view of the temporary camp for refugees and migrants near Mytilene town on Lesvos, Greece. Photo: Petros Giannakouris/The Associated Press.

Chrysochoidis said movement into this camp was “non-negotiable.”

“There are groups of Afghans and I am afraid even some human rights organisations who are encouraging thousands of people not to go in,” said Chrysochoidis, who is seen as the face of the centre-right government’s tough public order policies.

“It’s non-negotiable. They will leave the island but they have to go through this new facility and get the requisite legal documents first.”

Greek police charged four Afghan migrants with arson on Wednesday for their alleged involvement in the fires which destroyed most of the camp.

READ MORE: Six migrants arrested over deadly Moria camp blaze.

Suspects, all from Afghanistan, arrive at a court in Mytilene, the capital Lesvos, Greece. Photo: AP Photo/Panagiotis Balaskas.

Efforts will be launched in the coming days to clear the charred remains of what had once been Europe’s largest refugee camp.

Designed to host no more than 3,000, Moria accommodated almost 10 times that number at its height and was regularly condemned by aid groups for its deplorable conditions.

“It was a camp of shame,” the politician admitted, denying that the government was also forcibly pushing back other refugees who were trying to get to Greece.

“Now it belongs to history. It will be cleared up and replaced by olive groves.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Victorian futsal referee Maria Patrikis recognised at Vic Sport Awards

Football Victoria has announced Maria Patrikis has been named the Sports Accounting Australia Official of the Year at the Vic Sport Awards.

Katina Apostoleris sues Sunbury childcare centre over alleged arm injury to daughter

Katina Apostoleris is suing Sunbury childcare centre Woodlands Education after alleging her daughter Isabella suffered a dislocated elbow.

Voco Darwin suites open as family honours builder John Halikos

A new 88-room Voco hotel development in Darwin has opened as a tribute to late Territory builder John Halikos.

$180 million Axion Estin redevelopment awaits ministerial approval in Victoria

A $180 million redevelopment of the Holy Monastery of Axion Estin, a Greek Orthodox church site in Northcote, is under consideration.

Peter V’landys alleges ‘retaliation’ in defamation case against racing website owner

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys is accusing racehorse news owner Vicky Leonard of publishing an allegedly defamatory article.

You May Also Like

‘Justice is well overdue’: Steve Georganas MP calls on Australian Government to act on Cyprus issue

Federal MP, Steve Georganas has tabled a notice of motion calling on Parliament to support of the territorial integrity of Cyprus.

Volunteers at Saint Nectarios Burwood receive Federal funding for IT upgrade

Volunteers from the Greek Orthodox Parish and Community of Saint Nectarios Burwood have received $3,200 through the Morrison Government’s Volunteer Grants.

Applications open for grants to secure faith-based places in Australia

Applications for the Albanese Government’s Securing Faith-Based Places grant program are now open.