Greece seeks bids to build closed holding centres for migrants on islands

·

Greece has launched a European Union-wide tender to build two closed-type facilities replacing migrant camps on its islands, a move that has been criticised by a leading human rights advocate.

The conservative government first announced in late 2019 its plan to move asylum-seekers to closed holding centres as part of a tougher policy for managing migrant flows.

The new facilities on Lesbos and Chios islands would be completed within eight months, the migration ministry said in a statement announcing the tender on Friday.

Refugees and migrants stand next to tents in the Mavrovouni camp on the island of Lesbos, Greece, March 29, 2021. REUTERS/Elias Marcou

It said the so-called “Closed Controlled Structures” would improve living conditions for asylum-seekers and alleviate the burden of the migration crisis on local communities.

However, the Council of Europe’s Human Rights Commissioner Dunja Mijatovic earlier this month wrote to Greek ministers, urging them to reconsider the closed nature of the facilities.

“I am concerned that this will lead to large-scale and long-term deprivation of liberty… which has very harmful effects on their mental health, especially on children,” Mijatovic wrote.

Tents are seen in the Mavrovouni camp for refugees and migrants on the island of Lesbos, Greece, March 29, 2021. REUTERS/Elias Marcou

The camps on Lesbos and Chios spilled over into olive groves with flimsy tents and poor, often dangerous living conditions.

The government said this month the number of asylum-seekers on its islands had fallen below 10,000 for the first time since Europe’s migration crisis began in 2015, and down from nearly 20,000 people at its worst point in November 2018.

The camps were originally designed to hold around 6,000 people.

Source: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

2021 Halki Summit to address COVID-19 pandemic and climate change

The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, Bartholomew I, will present a series of three webinars in its fourth Halki Summit next week.

UNESCO urged to list Saint Catherine Monastery as World Heritage Site in Danger

World Heritage Watch has urged UNESCO to place Egypt’s Saint Catherine Area on the List of World Heritage Sites in Danger.

Lobster Cave closes its doors after 38 years

Melbourne’s iconic Lobster Cave has shut its doors after 38 years, with owner Bill Ferg confirming the Beaumaris venue has ceased trading.