Greece extends lockdown to more areas to stem spread of pandemic

·

Greece on Friday extended lockdown restrictions to more areas of the country to stem the spread of COVID-19 infections but lifted it in others where infections receded, its deputy civil protection minister said.

Effective on Saturday the islands of Kalymnos, Cephalonia and Thassos, the city of Heraklion in Crete, Corinth, Nemea and Argos in the Peloponnese and the municipality of Evosmos in the north will be in lockdown until March 1, authorities said.

This means schools, hair salons and non-essential retail shops will close.

“The epidemiological load in the community remains stable. The British variant shows wide dispersion with more than 760 infections,” said Vana Papaevangelou, a member of the committee of infectious disease experts advising the government.

She said health authorities were quite concerned with the spread of the South African variant of the virus in Evosmos, a suburb of the Thessaloniki urban area in northern Greece.

COVID-19 related hospital admissions had risen to an average of 218 daily and the occupancy rate at COVID-19 intensive care units in Athens hospitals stood at 83%.

But the picture in other areas of the country had improved with infections receding and authorities lifted lockdown restrictions in the islands of Santorini and Zakynthos, in Sparta and the town of Agios Nikolaos in Crete.

Greece, which has fared relatively better than others in Europe during the pandemic, was forced to impose a partial lockdown in November after infections began climbing, threatening to overwhelm a health system weakened by a decade-long financial crisis.

Earlier this month the government announced a full lockdown in metropolitan Athens to curb a resurgence in coronavirus cases until Feb. 28.

On Friday, health authorities reported 1,460 new coronavirus cases and 28 deaths, bringing total infections to 177,494 since the first case was detected in February last year and COVID-related deaths to 6,249.

Source: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC hail ‘extraordinary achievement’ after booking OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC have reached the inaugural OFC Pro League final with a dominant 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC in Auckland.

Students mark Battle of Crete anniversary at Brighton-Le-Sands Public School

A commemorative assembly marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete was held at Brighton-Le-Sands Public School.

New Board elected for Federation of Greek Elderly Citizen Clubs of Melbourne & Victoria

The Federation of Greek Elderly Citizen Clubs of Melbourne and Victoria has announced a new leadership team following elections.

‘The Life of Byron’ opens at The Greek Centre this weekend

What happens when a middle-aged Greek Australian man is forced to confront family, memory, ageing parents and himself? 

Dendias demands apology from Ukraine over naval drone incident

Nikos Dendias has said Ukraine owes Greece a “big apology” after a Ukrainian naval drone was discovered off the coast of Lefkada.

You May Also Like

Foreign Ministers of Greece, Serbia and Cyprus hold first trilateral meeting in Belgrade

The foreign ministers of Greece, Serbia and Cyprus held their first trilateral meeting in Belgrade on Monday.

Let’s Go Greek Festival receives $10,000 grant from Parramatta Council

The City of Parramatta Council in Sydney has awarded the Let's Go Greek Festival a $10,000 grant to go towards the community event in 2024.

George Vardas appointed to Multicultural NSW Advisory Board

Proud Greek Australian George Vardas has been appointed to the Multicultural NSW Advisory Board. Read more here.