Four dead in shooting at Greek shipping firm in Athens

·

On Monday, February 12 in Athens, police reported that a former employee of a Greek shipping company fatally shot three people, including the company’s owner, before taking his own life.

News.com.au reported that the 70-year-old shooter allegedly broke into the company’s premises in Glyfada, where he killed two men and a woman on the first floor before barricading himself inside.

“We heard gunshots, and I hid under my desk before police officers helped us out of the building,” an employee of the company, told radio station Skai.

Additional to shooting the owner, the gunman also killed the owner’s son-in-law, a co-director of the company, European Product Carriers, which maintains an average fleet of 35 vessels, including oil tankers, as indicated on its website.

At 10:11 am, local police were notified by an employee inside the building.

athens shooting
Police and emergency services surrounded the area in Athens. Photo: Trade Wind News.

The gunman was later found dead in the basement with his weapon next to him, having “likely shot himself in the head”, police spokesperson Konstantina Dimoglidou said.

Dimoglidou added that the gunman worked for the owner’s family, however further details were not provided.

According to a video shared by News247, an employee of the company confirmed that the assailant was “of Egyptian descent” and “had specifically targeted the company’s executives in an act of revenge.”

He “ordered us to leave so the employees would not be harmed”, she added. 

Authorities stated that police officers had entered the building and safely evacuated two women who had been locked in the toilets by the gunman.

Nearby roads were also shut down, and many police officers surrounded the premises.

Source: News.com.au.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Orthodox schools honour top HSC achievers at Sydney ceremony

Students from Sydney’s Greek Orthodox schools were formally recognised this week for their results in the 2025 NSW HSC examinations.

Andrew Lazarus buys Horsley Park Tavern for $25 million

Hotelier Andrew Lazarus has purchased the Horsley Park Tavern in western Sydney for about $25 million, expanding his portfolio.

Mayor Jim Grivas responds to St Haralambos Greek Festival parking fine backlash

Mayor of Manningham, Jim Grivas, has acknowledged community anger over parking fines issued during the recent St Haralambos Greek Festival.

Alex Hawke dumped from Liberal Party frontbench in Angus Taylor reshuffle

Alex Hawke has been relegated to the backbench after new Opposition Leader Angus Taylor unveiled a revamped shadow cabinet.

Paul Nicolaou calls scaled-back Cutaway trading hours ‘disappointing’

Business Sydney's Paul Nicolaou criticised the NSW government’s decision to wind back plans for 24-hour trading at The Cutaway venue.

You May Also Like

Traditional Cretan food: From farm to table at Dounias

Traditional Cretan food comes directly from farm to table for an authentic slow food experience at Dounias Taverna.

The 29th Greek Film Festival of Sydney announces its full program for 2024

The 29th Greek Film Festival of Sydney has announced its complete line up of quality Greek films for 2024.

Turkey plans to drill for oil off the Greek islands of Crete, Karpathos and Rhodes

Turkey plans to drill for oil near the Greek islands of Crete, Kasos, Karpathos and Rhodes based on a controversial maritime border agreement with Libya.