Filomina Kyriacou faces court for stealing $1 million while also accused of faking cancer

·

Almost one year ago, Sydney accountant Filomina Kyriacou had her registration terminated by the Tax Practitioners Board over unpaid tax and penalties of $2.4 million.

This week, the accountant and her son, George Kyriacou, were accused in the case taken in the NSW Supreme Court of withdrawing $1,097,068 without permission from the accounts of a company previously run by her ex business partner Angelo Russo.

READ MORE: Tax accountant Filomina Kyriacou facing ban over $2.4 million unpaid tax bill

In court this week, Justice Guy Parker granted a temporary freezing order on Ms Kyriacou’s accounts while the case plays out.

According to his affidavit filed with the court, Mr Russo claims there were 101 individual payments taken out of Wentworth Williams Auditing.

Ms Kyriacou is fighting being banned from operating as a tax agent.

He also claimed that Ms Kyriacou and her son had removed themselves as directors of the company in an attempt to stifle attempts to have the financial records revealed.

Mr Russo wrote in his affidavit that he confronted the pair over the money, The Daily Telegraph reports.

“Filomena would always refer me to George and George would always say he would get the documents together, however, George never provided me with anything,” Mr Russo wrote.

The court documents reveal Anthony Sumbati, an Australian Idol semi-finalist in 2003 who went on to work for Ms Kyriacou from 2015 to 2019, also gave an affidavit.

Anthony Sumbati performing in Australian Idol semi final in 2003.

Mr Sumbati wrote that Ms Kyriacou told him: “Treat (Mr Russo) like a mushroom. Keep him in the dark. Don’t tell him anything. I control the money, he doesn’t need to know what I do with it.”

The singer also claimed in the affidavit that Ms Kyriacou “overstated” her cancer.

“When I first started working for Filomena in 2015, she told me words to the effect: ‘I have cancer. I only have a few months to live’,” Mr Sumbati wrote.

The case will return to court on June 22.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

Amaretti: A sweet treat from My Greek Kitchen

Niki Louca from My Greek Kitchen shares her favourite recipe for Amaretti (a bitter-sweet flavored macaroon) with The Greek Herald.

The Italian occupation and bombardment of Corfu

In 1923, a year after Mussolini rose to power fascist Italy revealed its expansionist ambitions in the Balkans.

Meteora takes action to restore historic stone bridges

The historic stone bridges of Epirus and Pindos, remain enduring symbols of Greece’s cultural and architectural heritage.

You May Also Like

Greek migrant hotspot now EU’s ‘worst rights issue’

Almost four years after its launch with great fanfare, the EU's so-called 'hotspots' in Greece have morphed into its worst fundamental rights issue. The head...

Thanasi Kokkinakis breaks eight-year losing streak at French Open

Thanasi Kokkinakis upset Dan Evans on Sunday to reach the second round of the French Open for the first time since 2015.

Undefeated Greek boxer Andreas Katzourakis returns to the ring

Highly-touted Greek boxer Andreas Katzourakis (5-0, 4 KOs) returns to the ring after nearly a year hiatus on Saturday.