Ex-cop launches legal action over James Gargasoulas and the Bourke St massacre

·

Former police sergeant, Frank Caridi, who attempted to thwart the Bourke St massacre by warning his bosses of James Gargasoulas’ murderous intentions, has launched a high stakes legal battle against Victoria Police.

According to the Herald Sun, Mr Caridi is suing his former employer for negligence claiming he continues to suffer nightmares and post-traumatic stress disorder, and will never work again as a result.

In a statement of claim lodged in the County Court this week, Mr Caridi said he has been unable to work since the January 2017 tragedy in which six people were killed and 27 were injured after Gargasoulas deliberately drove his car into the busy CBD mall.

James Gargasoulas and the Bourke St massacre. Photo: ABC.

READ MORE: Coroner hands down findings on Gargasoulas’ 2017 Bourke Street rampage.

Mr Caridi, 56, told the Herald Sun he believes lives would have been saved if his calls to arrest Gargasoulas – over the attempted stabbing murder of his brother the night before – had been acted on earlier.

Instead, he said he was given “ridiculous excuses’’ as to why the critical incident response team (CIRT) would not respond.

“I know the outcome would have been different and lives would have been saved had we acted earlier,’’ Mr Caridi told the Herald Sun.

Frank Caridi. Photo: Jason South.

Court documents state Mr Caridi was aware that Gargasoulos was “erratic, psychotic and had the propensity to cause injury or death” if not immediately arrested, the Herald Sun reports.

Mr Caridi claims Victoria Police was negligent in failing to act upon and disregarding his warnings and he has suffered anxiety and depression as a consequence.

Mr Caridi also said he was treated poorly by Victoria Police in the lead up to giving evidence to the Coronial Inquest into the Bourke St rampage, and has been targeted and vilified for not protecting the “brotherhood” of the police force.

He is claiming compensation for damages and loss of future earnings.

Source: Herald Sun.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Australian women encouraged to think about their health

Women’s Health Week is a national initiative from a not-for-profit organization that aims to raise awareness on health issues for all women.

Book presentation and cultural tribute at Kogarah to shine light on George Devine Treloar

This Sunday in Kogarah, the Greek Orthodox Parish, Unity in Philia and Pontoxeniteas NSW honour Australian humanitarian George Devine Treloar