Erdogan says Turkey to continue exercising ‘sovereign rights’ in Aegean, ‘as we did with Hagia Sophia’

·

The Turkish President has continued to increase tensions in the Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean, saying on Thursday that that Ankara intends to carry on with the “work it has started in the Eastern Mediterranean and the Aegean.”

According to the state-run Anadolu Agency, his comments came hours after the Turkish seismic survey vessel Barbaros sailed toward Cyprus.

Read More: Turkey withdraws Oruc Reis navy ship, sends Barbaros to Cypriot waters instead

“We will not hesitate to exercise our sovereign rights, as in the example of Hagia Sophia Grand Mosque, which we reopened for worship,” Erdogan reportedly added.

Turkish seismic survey vessel Barbaros sailed toward Cyprus under new orders under Erdogan.

The Barbaros was called in only hours after Turkish officials called off gas exploration activities near the Greek island of Kastellorizo with the Oruc Reis. It was sent in response to a NAVTEX message issued by Ankara, reserving an area inside Cyprus’ Exclusive Economic Zone to conduct hydrocarbon research until September 18, Kathimerini Cyprus reported.

Read More: Greece says tension easing in East Med dispute with Turkey but remain alert

Earlier this week, Erdogan’s spokesperson Ibrahim Kalin said at the time he was prepared to sit at the negotiation table with counterparts in Athens.

“In line with the instructions of our president, we are ready to discuss all issues; the Aegean, continental shelf, islands, airspace, research and screening efforts, and Eastern Mediterranean along with other bilateral matters with Greece without any precondition,” Kalin said.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Greek Finance Minister: Expect a recession of up to 10 percent due to tourism losses

Greek Finance Minister, Christos Staikouras, has said the economy could contract up to ten percent in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Greece’s PM vows to expedite reforms in first cabinet meeting for 2024

Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis announced new plans to combat rising supermarket prices and illegal construction on Tuesday during his first cabinet meeting of the...

NSW Government injects a further $1.4 million into community-led projects

More than 65 organisations have received funding from the NSW Government to facilitate projects in diverse communities.