Eleni Petinos MP raises alarm over alleged graphic sex education at Illawong school

·

The principal of Illawong Public School in Sydney’s south has been suspended following allegations that Year 6 students were exposed to an inappropriate and overly explicit sex education discussion.

Eleni Petinos, State Member for Miranda, brought the matter to parliament on Friday, November 15, highlighting the deep concern among parents and the community about the incident.

Ms Petinos explained that the incident occurred on November 7 after students participated in the Amazing Me program, which had parental approval. However, a follow-up discussion allegedly escalated to cover topics such as adult streaming websites and explicit sex acts, prompted by anonymous student questions.

“What parents did not consent to… was a school staff member’s discretion around an appropriate follow-up conversation,” Ms Petinos said.

She described being shocked by the content, recounting one parent’s concerns that their child’s sexual knowledge had been advanced beyond what was appropriate for their age.

NSW Education Minister Prue Car has announced a review of NSW laws that regulate how public funds can be used by non-government schools. Photo: Bianca De Marchi.
NSW Education Minister Prue Car. Photo: Bianca De Marchi.

Minister for Education Prue Car apologised to parents and confirmed that immediate action had been taken.

“I’m sorry to those parents… the principal has been stood aside,” she said. 

“There is a relieving principal in place while the principal’s activities are subject to an investigation by the department of education, professional and ethical standards unit — that is very serious — and I will let that investigation take place.”

While stressing that sex education is a standard part of the curriculum for Year 5 and 6 students, Ms Car clarified that the behaviour in this instance was “unacceptable.”

Opposition Leader Mark Speakman called the incident “reckless” and criticised the government’s response for leaving parents feeling unsupported.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Greece’s General Secretary for Greeks Abroad marks OXI Day with message

Αγαπητοί συμπατριώτες και συμπατριώτισσες Γιορτάζουμε φέτος την 83ηΕπέτειο του «ΟΧΙ». Χρέος μας είναι – όπως κάθε χρόνο - να  μνημονεύσουμε και να τιμήσουμε τη...

Moray and Agnew named among the top 25 attractive law firms in Australia

Moray and Agnew Lawyers ranked number 25 on the Top 25 Attraction Firms ranking list and Bill Papastergiadis couldn't be prouder.

Greece reaffirms full support for Ukraine at Odessa Summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis reaffirmed Greece’s steadfast support for Ukraine during the 4th Ukraine-Southeast Europe Summit held in Odessa.