‘Difficult but not impossible’: Greek Culture Minister on return of Parthenon Marbles

·

Greece’s Culture Minister Lina Mendoni said in Parliament on Monday that achieving an agreement for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece by the British Museum “is difficult but not impossible.”

Ms Mendoni made her comment in response to a question by KINAL-PASOK Deputy Dimitris Konstantopoulos, who said the government should be transparent about the issue.

The Greek Culture Minister reiterated that Greece does not recognise any claims or ownership of the British Museum over the Parthenon Marbles, as they comprise a product of theft.

Mendoni said that the Greek government’s stance “remains national, unanimous, consistent and clear.”

“The government has been working from the start systematically, responsibly, and effectively to achieve the national goal – the return and reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures to Athens and the Acropolis Museum,” the minister added.

This latest statement by Mendoni comes as reports emerged earlier this month that “constructive discussions” were underway between The British Museum and Greece about returning the Parthenon Marbles to Athens.

The Parthenon Marbles. Photo by Graham Barclay, BWP Media/Getty Images.

The 2,500 year old marble was removed from the Acropolis in the early 19th century by British diplomat Lord Elgin and placed on display in Britain. At the time, Lord Elgin was an ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, which then ruled Greece.

Since their removal, Greece has repeatedly called for the permanent return of the ancient sculptures. Yet Britain has been defiant, saying the sculptures were legally acquired and UK law prevents it from breaking its historical collection.

READ MORE: Victorian Premier calls for the ‘immediate return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece’.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Greek helicopters arrive in Australia to help with the summer bushfire season

Four S-64 Air Crane helicopters, which were shipped from Greece, arrived in Australia on Saturday night, just in time for the summer bushfire season.

Preserving Hellenic heritage in Australia: The birth of ‘Speak Greek in March’

The idea of organising the “Speak Greek in March” campaign came to me at an Omiros graduation ceremony, where I was asked to present.

Tom Panos blames construction industry for Australia’s housing crisis

Real estate veteran Tom Panos has called out the construction industry as the root cause of Australia’s housing crisis.